Automatic Fish Feeder Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sagar77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I have had fish for the last one year now with great success, thanks to the invaluable help of this site/forum. thanks a ton.

In my 30 gallon I have 6 corys, 6 neons, 2 platys, 3 guppies, 1 apple-snail and 1 dwarf gourami.

I will be going on vacation overseas for 20 days and am planning to invest in a automatic fishfeeder. Right now I can afford a rotary fish feeder (like the Penn Plax or the nutramatic) which are rated to hold food for 4 weeks. Now here are my concern and it will be great if I can get some expert guidance from you:

I have both bottom feeders and top- feeders so I feed them both flake food and pellets. can the same feeder feed both? Is there any type of feeder than can hold both types of food and feed both? What can be the solution? Two separate rotary feeders?

Should I be concerned about anything else?

Please advice. Thanks.

I would do as GIMojo suggested. Get 2 of them. In fact, you may want to get three. I'd put them on your tank ASAP and see how much they dispense. It may be enough food for your fish, but it may not be. It's best to watch in advance so you know what you'll be coming home to.

I agree with Fishyfanatic. Whatever you decide to do, test it before hand. And, find someone to check on the fish a few times, Just in case.

I have two on my tank that I use all the time. They work great.

GIMojo said:
in canada, we have those at wal mart for 3 bucks. runs on batteries. why dont you just get 2

My local Walmart sells them for nearly 15 dollars a pop!

Great post. I was wondering the same thing.

Joe

3 dollars a pop!

Bob, sometimes (very rarely) I wish I was in Canada, not US! Just kidding! Love this country- will love it more if it sells automatic feeders for $3 instead of $20!

Thanks a lot for the info! I am already trying out the solution and I will let it run for 21 days because that's how my vacation is.

Thanks again!

-Sagar

Instead of buying some cheap Wal Mart crap, why not get a good auto-feeder and use it full time? Your fish will appreciate never missing a meal and learning what time exactly each day to expect food. I figure over the course of a year I miss at least 10 weekends for some reason or another, but I never have to worry about having someone feed my fish or buying those sinking food blocks that get everywhere.

hmm 3$ canadian is like 2$ american. 20$ american is like 30$ canadian (im probally way off) but lol when ya migrate over here because if the ice caps will melt and canada will be underwater :). you'll know what we mean by expensive :)

I have one of those Wal-Mart feeders, and it's OK. Dispenses twice a day. Mounting clamp is not a masterpiece, but it stays on. It takes some experimenting with dosing. BTW it's $19.99 canadian in Alberta (no provincial taxes).

And don't forget to stick in a battery before you leave ... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom