best fish food brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftcgames

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey. I need some more fish food, because i'm running out of the stuff I have. Also, my fish don't seem to be liking my tetra flakes. I'm using tetra-min tropical fish flakes. So I was wondering, What fish food would you guys reccomend? Just tell me in the replies. :thanks:!

Well I feed my fish a number of things but there staple food is spectrum its the best dry food i can get also I feed a variety of other food algae discs omega 1 flake food and a frozen treat they get every other day or so at night is frozen blood worms brine shrimp and a frozen veggie mix. Hands down the best all around food is spectrum

I hear new life spectrum (NLS) is the best, but is expensive. Kensfish.com is also used by many, including me. Repashy has a mix if you want to make your own. Others will have different opinions, but better brands like hikari, osi, dainichi, nls are better than dept store brands like wardleys and tetra.

What is omega 1 in fish food?

I use tetra crisp in the morning then tetra pro at night with a pitch of tetra prime

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed

Hikari gold cichlid pellets
Tetra Prima granules
Tetra Pleco Multi Wafers
Interpet Freeze dried Daphnia
Nutrafin Tropical flake
Tetra Bloodworms in jelly
BCUK frozen Cichlid mix

Obviously not all together I vary it feeding twice a day.

I also prepare some fresh veggies broccoli, peas, courgettes etc.

My fish are
3 Bolivian rams
7 Zebra Danios
7 Penguin Tetras
2 Chinese Algae Eaters

Jon

I use hikari micro pellets my, fish love them! I think you should try them.

Oh okay, could you give me a link to somewhere I can buy it? It sounds interesting

I can't do it through my phone ill try to show you what they look like though.

ForumRunner_20120530_063919.jpg

I feel that omega one is superior to all the other brands I have found to date. You know looking at the ingredients and omega one has whole foods usually as the first 3-4 ingredients as opposed to other brand that have "fish meal" and a lot of filletrs. Let me find a reply I made about food on other thread....

Here is a quote of my reply on another thread. I'm sure there may be other brands that might be just as good as omega one, but since omega one and new life spectrum are often discussed and I've used both I am able to share what I know about these brands.

ashleynicole said:
Personally I think that omega one is superior to both new life spectrum and hikari based on the ingerdient list. None of my fish ever really liked new life spectrum.

For example, the first four ingredients in newlife spectrum is "Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal"
notice that each fish is a "meal" and that wheat flour is the 3rd ingredient

The first four ingredients in my omega one shrimp pellets are as follows:
"whole shrimp, whole salmon, cod, whole herring"

notice that the omega one isn't a "fish meal" it is whole fish as opposed to NLS which is "fishmeal"

The omega one super color flakes first four ingredients are as follows:
"whole salmon, halibut, seafood mix(including krill, rockfish, and shirmp), wheat gluten"
also notice that wheat is the fourth ingredient here not the 3rd which indicates less filler is used as opposed to the NLS where wheat was the 3rd ingredient.

The only thing I use from hikari is their algae wafers with spirulina because my plecos prefer them above all others but I notice hikari ingredients, while better than some others like tetra, still includes a lot of filler . I plan on trying out the omega one algae wafers soon. I do buy frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp and noticed they are made by hikari.

i use omega 1 pellets for the most part,HBH shrimp pellets,and hikari bloodworms(i just bought them,ive been using the sally something ones)

The info that someone above gave about spectrum is inaccurate

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120530_143029.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120530_143029.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 107
Back
Top Bottom