Best looking pleco under 6"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Eventually my Royal pleco is going to outgrow my tank. Probably not for a year or so, but it will happen. This sucks, because they are the best looking fish I've ever kept, IMO.

Anyway, once it does and I pass it off to my LFS, what is the best looking pleco to replace it that stays under 6"? I hate Albino/white looking ones BTW, but I think those all get big anyway.

L134 Leopard frog pleco. If you can find them, they are great little plecos. Gets 4-4.5" Here is a pic of one of mine.
But, clown plecos are very pretty if you have some driftwood in the tank. I also like the common bristlenosed, rubberlipped and bulldog plecos.

Fluff said:
L134 Leopard frog pleco. If you can find them, they are great little plecos. Gets 4-4.5" Here is a pic of one of mine.
But, clown plecos are very pretty if you have some driftwood in the tank. I also like the common bristlenosed, rubberlipped and bulldog plecos.

I am probably going to have to order this kid, huh? I never see any cool plecos in shops, except one time I found a snowball in a LFS. My Royal I had to order online.

Tony Starks said:
lmw80 said:
Tony Starks said:
lmw80 said:
how large to Queen Arabescts get? They are gorgeous.

Here's pics from planetcatfish.com:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/hypancis/229_f.php

Now thats a pleco! I hope they stay small, anyone?

according to planetcatfish.com about 3.6" - scroll down from the thumbnails and it has the info.

Great - thats my pleco... assuming I can find it anywhere :?

you might have to ask your lfs to order it? I don't know if I have ever seen any in a lfs.

I guess I will have to, thats a great looking pleco and the perfect size for my tank. I think I would even get two. Thanks for the suggestion.

What are some more common plecos that stay small just in case I have to buy it from a lfs' stock on hand?

drs foster and smith sell them for a little uder $40, but shipping is what gets you. I like gold nuggets and I think my lfs usually carries them, so I might get one of them. Good idea? In a year of course I swear my royal is not growing (fine with me).

Look on Aquabid for Plecos the variety is amazing! For my money the Zebra Plecos are the most spectacular, but it would be for my money you would pay at least $200 for one of those beauties now.

Aquabid has blue Plecos, striped Plecos, spotted Plecos, but all of these are pretty expensive especially when you add shipping. In general most of the fancier Plecos stay small, double check on Planet Catfish or something before you buy though!

I agree you can find some nice deals on aquabid.com. If your not in a hurry to get one, watch the catfish auctions for a few days and see what comes up. The gold nugget pleco is a nice pleco. But, like the one I posted for you, it also requires some meat in it's diet. I feed mine shrimp pellets. They love em.

L183 is a very nice looking plec. I have one that is a little over 1" and i love how he looks, plus he was a lot cheaper than my gold nugget (cost 13$ instead of 25$). And they stay under 4", check planetcatfish for pictures.

Back
Top Bottom