Best power filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dallascowboys16

Aquarium Advice Addict
Getting a new filter to use on a 55 gallon high tech planted tank. What is the best power filter to use in conjunction with a fluval 306 canister. Looking for something that pushes a lot of water and is reliable and quiet. I've never used power filters so need some advice here. Thanks! :thanks:

I would do the 306 and like a HOB rated for at least 90-100 gallons like an aqueon quiet flow 55/75. With the 306 being rated for up to 70 gallons it's adequate but if you wanna put your full stocking potential in your tank or even some a bit more difficult fish like dwarf cichlids or apistos, I would try to have at least 3x the appropriate filtration rating, that's just my opinion :) good luck

Like betta said, for hobs, you want them to be mean for tanks at least 2x your tank size. There are quite a few quite a reliable hob filters. Aquaclear HOBs are good. Marineland emperor 400 is powerful but can sometimes be a bit noisy. I don't like Aqueon quite flows because they do not live up to their name and don't move the water much. The rena filstar/xp canister filter series is also really good. I have an xp4 that I used on my 55g and it's was really powerful, move the water a whole ton, and cleaned the water too.

Like betta said, for hobs, you want them to be mean for tanks at least 2x your tank size. There are quite a few quite a reliable hob filters. Aquaclear HOBs are good. Marineland emperor 400 is powerful but can sometimes be a bit noisy. I don't like Aqueon quite flows because they do not live up to their name and don't move the water much. The rena filstar/xp canister filter series is also really good. I have an xp4 that I used on my 55g and it's was really powerful, move the water a whole ton, and cleaned the water too.

? ^ :) I've never tried Rena filstar very good reviews though on the do series

That's like a more advanced aquaclear. They are made by the same company (aquaclear and c-4's) so one is just more advanced. The c-4 is quieter.

Back
Top Bottom