Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Best way to sterilize creek rocks

I managed to get some decent rocks from the Little Harpeth River yesterday. My plan is to soak them in hot water with a little bleach and then run them through the dishwasher. Will this sufficiently get any critters/pollutants off of them or is there a better way?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill
I managed to get some decent rocks from the Little Harpeth River yesterday. My plan is to soak them in hot water with a little bleach and then run them through the dishwasher. Will this sufficiently get any critters/pollutants off of them or is there a better way?

That's plenty! I usually boil them (be careful here), and do a few scrub downs on them before I put them in my tank. I think you could do your way, or half of your way

Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe I'll do it my way and add the scrubbing from your way....sound good?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post

Your plan sounds good ... after the dishwasher ... give them a soak in dechlorinated water to remove any chlorine like residue.

You could bring them up to a boil ... then let them cool off as well. The only rocks I do this with are Granites, Quartz stones or Slates that do not have any large fractures.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Maybe I'll do it my way and add the scrubbing from your way....sound good?
Sounds great! Its always good to be extra sure
Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
Your plan sounds good ... after the dishwasher ... give them a soak in dechlorinated water to remove any chlorine like residue.

You could bring them up to a boil ... then let them cool off as well. The only rocks I do this with are Granites, Quartz stones or Slates that do not have any large fractures.
I have no idea what these rocks are....they're pretty blah in color but the shapes are interesting. One of them has a clam shell fossilized to it which I thought was pretty cool....lol. I plan to get the water too hot to touch but not hot enough to boil.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
Sounds great! Its always good to be extra sure
Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I have no idea what these rocks are....they're pretty blah in color but the shapes are interesting. One of them has a clam shell fossilized to it which I thought was pretty cool....lol. I plan to get the water too hot to touch but not hot enough to boil.
It's a sedimentary rock. Nashville pretty much sits in a depression / basin so your surrounded by higher land all around which are sedimentary.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Some rocks can alter your tank's pH. Just be aware of that before you throw them in.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
It's a sedimentary rock. Nashville pretty much sits in a depression / basin so your surrounded by higher land all around which are sedimentary.

What does this mean in terms of safeness for aquarium use? I plan to do the vinegar test, but honestly, I've never gotten a rock to make the vinegar fizz. I have texas holey rock and limestone from the LFS, and neither fizzes. I know muriatic acid is a better test, but I don't have any on hand.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Assuming the rock was in the river for a long time (rounded in shape), I'd say it's safe. Limestone can increase pH ... but not necessarily by a whole lot. The acid test for limestone is not always reliable if it's a weak acid and the surface of the limestone has dirt / debris on it.

That's why it's best to first try and scratch it with a steel knife .. which will easily scratch limestone. Steel generally does not scratch Granites / Quart stones.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I wouldn't put it through the dish washer or boil it. All it takes is one air pocket ad it could explode. A good scrub and a soak will do the job.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Agreed, don't boil. Dishwasher is fine though... but unecessary. I just used a grill brush and a water hose for the rocks I got from a creek for my mbuna tank.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone. I ended up using 5% or less bleach in too hot to touch water. I'm now soaking in water with a huge dose of dechlorinator in it to hopefully get rid of the chlorine. They've been soaking in that for about 48 hours. Do you think they're ready for the tank?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another question.....I just had the idea to test the ph of the water that the rocks have been soaking in with prime for the last few days. The ph matches my tap. Is it safe to assume then that the rocks will not affect the ph in my tanks or would it take longer than a few days to make the ph rise?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Another question.....I just had the idea to test the ph of the water that the rocks have been soaking in with prime for the last few days. The ph matches my tap. Is it safe to assume then that the rocks will not affect the ph in my tanks or would it take longer than a few days to make the ph rise?

I'd say it's safe to assume that. That's what I did with my driftwood after it had soaked for a day. I tested the PH and it had gone down .2 and after I put it in my tank the pH has gone down .2 and that's it.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Sounds good! If it doesn't change the pH in a small amount if water in a bucket it's not going to change your tank IMO.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
come get me tang police!

letting it sun bake is another method of sterilization, but the dishwater or good 1:19 bleach scrub down works just as well. Look forward to pics.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome! Thank you all. Now to get them into the tank!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Course I'm a bit late on it now since you've already done the hard part but for future reference - after you get the rocks / stones home you can place them in a bucket of cool water, add 1tablesppon white vinegar and watch. If it fizzes it'll mess with your ph if it doesn't your good to go

Tags
cree, rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com