Best way to sterilize creek rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I managed to get some decent rocks from the Little Harpeth River yesterday. My plan is to soak them in hot water with a little bleach and then run them through the dishwasher. Will this sufficiently get any critters/pollutants off of them or is there a better way?

:thanks:

Jill said:
I managed to get some decent rocks from the Little Harpeth River yesterday. My plan is to soak them in hot water with a little bleach and then run them through the dishwasher. Will this sufficiently get any critters/pollutants off of them or is there a better way?

That's plenty! I usually boil them (be careful here), and do a few scrub downs on them before I put them in my tank. I think you could do your way, or half of your way:)

Your plan sounds good ... after the dishwasher ... give them a soak in dechlorinated water to remove any chlorine like residue.

You could bring them up to a boil ... then let them cool off as well. The only rocks I do this with are Granites, Quartz stones or Slates that do not have any large fractures.

Your plan sounds good ... after the dishwasher ... give them a soak in dechlorinated water to remove any chlorine like residue.

You could bring them up to a boil ... then let them cool off as well. The only rocks I do this with are Granites, Quartz stones or Slates that do not have any large fractures.

I have no idea what these rocks are....they're pretty blah in color but the shapes are interesting. One of them has a clam shell fossilized to it which I thought was pretty cool....lol. I plan to get the water too hot to touch but not hot enough to boil.

I have no idea what these rocks are....they're pretty blah in color but the shapes are interesting. One of them has a clam shell fossilized to it which I thought was pretty cool....lol. I plan to get the water too hot to touch but not hot enough to boil.

It's a sedimentary rock. Nashville pretty much sits in a depression / basin so your surrounded by higher land all around which are sedimentary.

Some rocks can alter your tank's pH. Just be aware of that before you throw them in. :)

It's a sedimentary rock. Nashville pretty much sits in a depression / basin so your surrounded by higher land all around which are sedimentary.

What does this mean in terms of safeness for aquarium use? I plan to do the vinegar test, but honestly, I've never gotten a rock to make the vinegar fizz. I have texas holey rock and limestone from the LFS, and neither fizzes. :ermm: I know muriatic acid is a better test, but I don't have any on hand.

Assuming the rock was in the river for a long time (rounded in shape), I'd say it's safe. Limestone can increase pH ... but not necessarily by a whole lot. The acid test for limestone is not always reliable if it's a weak acid and the surface of the limestone has dirt / debris on it.

That's why it's best to first try and scratch it with a steel knife .. which will easily scratch limestone. Steel generally does not scratch Granites / Quart stones.

Agreed, don't boil. Dishwasher is fine though... but unecessary. I just used a grill brush and a water hose for the rocks I got from a creek for my mbuna tank.

Thanks everyone. I ended up using 5% or less bleach in too hot to touch water. I'm now soaking in water with a huge dose of dechlorinator in it to hopefully get rid of the chlorine. They've been soaking in that for about 48 hours. Do you think they're ready for the tank? :)

Another question.....I just had the idea to test the ph of the water that the rocks have been soaking in with prime for the last few days. The ph matches my tap. Is it safe to assume then that the rocks will not affect the ph in my tanks or would it take longer than a few days to make the ph rise?

Jill said:
Another question.....I just had the idea to test the ph of the water that the rocks have been soaking in with prime for the last few days. The ph matches my tap. Is it safe to assume then that the rocks will not affect the ph in my tanks or would it take longer than a few days to make the ph rise?

I'd say it's safe to assume that. That's what I did with my driftwood after it had soaked for a day. I tested the PH and it had gone down .2 and after I put it in my tank the pH has gone down .2 and that's it.

Jill said:

Sounds good! If it doesn't change the pH in a small amount if water in a bucket it's not going to change your tank IMO.

Course I'm a bit late on it now since you've already done the hard part but for future reference - after you get the rocks / stones home you can place them in a bucket of cool water, add 1tablesppon white vinegar and watch. If it fizzes it'll mess with your ph if it doesn't your good to go

Back
Top Bottom