Beta+ other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbird08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've seen Beta fish in tanks with other fish at the pet store but I didn't know if I could put one in our tank...we have 2 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Rainbow Shark and 2 molly fish in a 29g tank. Does this sound like a disaster or will this work out ok? Thanks for your input! :)

IMO/E
1. betta will fight / kill dwarf gouram'is
2. in general, 2 dwarf gourami's will fight
3. rainbow sharks need 50g minimum
(just my 2 cents :))

Last edited:
New said:
IMO/E
3. in general, 2 dwarf gourami's will fight
2. rainbow sharks need 50g minimum

This is exactly right

So far ours don't fight at all, everyone in the tank gets along pretty well, other then the shark occasionally chasing a Molly. Thank you though, that's a negative on the Beta...I guess we'll just have to get him his own tank :)!

So far ours don't fight at all, everyone in the tank gets along pretty well, other then the shark occasionally chasing a Molly. Thank you though, that's a negative on the Beta...I guess we'll just have to get him his own tank :)!

i recommend 5+ gallons for him / her with a heater and filter ;)

It depends on the betta. I have had two at different times that did well in my community tank, the last one died recently and I replaced him, well that betta wasn't havin it. He was attacking fish left and right. So now he's in a vase :p

It depends on the betta. I have had two at different times that did well in my community tank, the last one died recently and I replaced him, well that betta wasn't havin it. He was attacking fish left and right. So now he's in a vase :p

a lot depends on the temperament of the betta, a vase?

it will live in it, but i would recommend you get it a tank w/ a filter and heater at the first chance u get :/ surviving and thriving are 2 different things (he / she will appreciate it ;))

IMO/E
2. in general, 2 dwarf gourami's will fight
3. rainbow sharks need 50g minimum
actually its 55 minimum,but you were close

I have a betta / dwarf community tank . They do great together . I all depends on the temperament of that specific fish . Try it out . If it doesn't work have a tank on standby

I have a betta / dwarf community tank . They do great together . I all depends on the temperament of that specific fish . Try it out . If it doesn't work have a tank on standby

i agree ^ if u decide to try it, make sure your monitoring them to make sure that no fish gets hurt

A female might be the best chance . If you look really well you can find a colorful one . I found that after I bought mine her color just gets brighter and prettier .

Attachments

• image-3531210265.jpg
    image-3531210265.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 70
I just put mine back in my community tank. He chases around my mollys but i have never seen him actually attack them. I think he is just trying to establish dominance maybe? Either way he looks happier.

Well we solved our issue with the rainbow shark...he stressed out my molly and started chasing all of the other fish as well, as if he were bigger then them! Anyway he found a new home..we really like the rainbow sharks, might have to get a tank specifically for them! :D we are going to try the beta in a week or two we bought a Mickey mouse Platy(which I love!) and another Platy today and everyone seems to have settled in pretty fast..we also bought aquarium salt and added that and boy what a difference in the fish's personalities they seem much happier and full of energy.

I've seen Beta fish in tanks with other fish at the pet store but I didn't know if I could put one in our tank...we have 2 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Rainbow Shark and 2 molly fish in a 29g tank. Does this sound like a disaster or will this work out ok? Thanks for your input! :)

I have had long term success with female bettas and dwarf gourami together, but personally, I wouldn't try the mix with a male betta. It's not really worth the risk. If you try with a female betta a back up plan is a must because it is very possible they won't get along.

Well we solved our issue with the rainbow shark...he stressed out my molly and started chasing all of the other fish as well, as if he were bigger then them! Anyway he found a new home..we really like the rainbow sharks, might have to get a tank specifically for them! :D we are going to try the beta in a week or two we bought a Mickey mouse Platy(which I love!) and another Platy today and everyone seems to have settled in pretty fast..we also bought aquarium salt and added that and boy what a difference in the fish's personalities they seem much happier and full of energy.

Uh oh..Never add aquarium salt unless you are treating for an illness like ich. And even then you must get it out as quick as you can to avoid damage to the fish. I'd get that salt out ASAP. Once exposed to it for a couple weeks your fish will have internal damage. Not to mention, it's gonna kill your plants.

Uh oh..Never add aquarium salt unless you are treating for an illness like ich. And even then you must get it out as quick as you can to avoid damage to the fish. I'd get that salt out ASAP. Once exposed to it for a couple weeks your fish will have internal damage. Not to mention, it's gonna kill your plants.

It's ok to use on columbian sharks and mollys though right? I add for them and they seem to be doing great, also, will it harm a betta?

No it's not OK. You may have heard otherwise, there's alot of bad info out there on salt. They can acclimate to brackish, which is a acheived using marine salt, the same salt used to make saltwater. The betta will absolutely be harmed by the salt. Aquarium salt should only be used to cure disease.

If you want to have a brackish tank for your shark and mollies, you'll need to get rid of the betta and any other freshwater fish, and start slowly acclimating them to low doses of marine salt.

Back
Top Bottom