Betta and tadpoles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I'm a sucker for tadpoles in about-to-dry-up-puddles, so I now have a good thirty of the darn things in a spare 10 gallon that I have about a third filled. They are small but not tiny, about the circumference of the eraser on a pencil. Do you think I could add a betta to the tank and not have disaster occur?

I just got the wife a Betta today. My understanding is, they are very calm and docile.

I'd like to find some polywogs for my Bluegill... (do people still call them that?)

It will be interesting watching them slowly change into frogs. Keep a lid on that fits tightly and provide a little island of sorts that they can climb onto and you'll have an interesting little biosphere.

I just got the wife a Betta today. My understanding is, they are very calm and docile.
Bettas are know as fighting fish for a good reason. Most people think they only fight each other, but they can take on other fish and small frogs. Both male and female bettas! Some people have luck keeping them in a community, and others have posted horror stories. If you do add a betta, have a back up plan. Also keep in mind that bettas do best in a filtered, heated tank.

Pet stores keep bettas in tiny isolated cups because they are not calm and docile.

Bettas are true individuals and it's hit or miss as to whether a betta will be a good community fish or an aggressive fish. Try finding a betta at the lfs that's already in a community tank. There's a large lfs where I live and while they have bettas in cups, I've seen a couple in community tanks. Generally these bettas will be better in communities.

I put the Betta in with the Goldies (tank is cycled, by the way) and one Goldie took a nip at a fin after about 15 seconds. That was it. The Betta's fins look good, and they are all kicking back, enjoying life.

They are all close in size.

sombunya, bettas and goldfish generally need different water temperatures... goldfish are much colder water fish.

just thought i'd point that out.

My tanks never get too cold, 70's maybe. I suppose they could drop into the 60's in the Winter. I don't know if anyone has bought a chiller for a Goldfish setup.

I'll be keeping an eye on things. Temperature and fish behavior.

Belated follow-up: In case anyone is interested in how this turned out, you can in fact keep a betta with tadpoles. He nibbled one when I first put him in, but it must have tasted horrible because I swear he made a face and has never done it since. He's not even that docile of a betta, as all subsequent attempts to introduce him to either of my community tanks failed miserably, with much violence.

The tadpoles themselves seemed to do well. I fed them some tropical crisps that would sink as well as small pieces of sinking algae wafers. They liked the former a lot more. I identified them as American Toad tadpoles, which turned out to be spot on, and quite a few turned into tiny toads very quickly, and were released into the wild (or the rooms of a few certain people in the dorm, but you know how it is).

Some of them drowned after growing front legs. Not too sure how some were able to handle the island I had and not others, but I switched to a makeshift island with a smoother grade and a better gripped surface and that seems to have fixed the problem.

I still have a good dozen stragglers that haven't made the full change yet. Most have a good set of hind legs growing. There are a few runts that appear the exact same as when I pulled them from the puddle. No idea what's up with them. If and when these all turn into toads, I'm not too sure what I'm going to do, as it's getting cold enough here that releasing them would probably be a death sentence. Turtle food maybe? (Not that that wouldn't be a death sentence too, but at least the red-eared sliders would get something out of it.)

The betta is doing great, though. He's bright orange, and since I got him when I was in a pre-Hallowe'en mood, I named him Amontillado (Pumpkin and/or Jack seemed too obvious). He's been completely unruffled by the somewhat disturbing nature of tadpole waste, which puts an oil slick on the top of the water. The tank always smells like pond-water too, no matter how often I clean it. Roommate less than pleased, though she was placated by the toad-in-friend's-pillowcase maneuvers on certain targets of hers.

Hope that report helped anyone who ever feels the urge to collect some tadpoles. It's certainly been an adventure. Oh, and red-eared sliders love to eat tadpoles. Love them. They're turtle crack.

Last edited:
If you feel like keeping them, the toads will stay fairly small through the winter. What I would do is take that tank and as the tadpoles metamorphose you can slowly lower the water level and add more island until you have a terrarium with a pool. You can add plants, flowers, grass, rocks or whatever to decorate this is you like, or leave it aquarium gravel if you prefer. The toads will start spending more time on land. Make sure you have a tight cover on the tank when they do. You can feed them through the winter on baby crickets from the pet store or bugs you catch. They don't need to eat often, and crickets will live for some time if you throw in more than they can eat at once, especially if they have plants. Then you can release the toads in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom