Betta eyesight, good bad or medium - well?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read conflicting articles about how good a Betta's eyesight is. Some say it is excellent and some say it is poor.

Aside from problems/old age, just how good is the eyesight of a healthy Betta?

I have a blue/purple Betta that sees me coming, and sees my fingers in the tank holding his little piece of thawed shrimp, but he usually misses several times when he "strikes" at his food. he's getting better at it but it sorta seems like he's a little bit clueless sometimes.

Maybe he's thrown off a bit, the surface of his water is pretty turbulent (the HOB is for a 40 gallon and it's on his 10 gallon, I had an extra one)

Just wondering.

My bettas have never shown any evidence of bad eyesight. They see me, other fish, and their food just fine. In fact, one of my bettas was in a tank with platys and an oto for awhile, and his eyesight was just fine while he was attacking everyone in sight! Then again, my bettas have never had filters to throw them off, just me and non-stop water changes.

I have read that bettas can see up to a foot away. My one betta, who died a few months ago, jumped up and caught a gnat on the rim of his bowl. This same betta was going crazy, swimming up and down very fast one day! I wondered what the heck was going on. I go over to look and a very, very tiny spider was building a web between the betta's bowl and the wall. I even had to look for a minute or so to finally see it. I then plucked it out of its little web and gave it to the betta! So that betta had great eyesight.

My other betta could see very well too. He used to see me halfway across the room, and swim to the front of the tank to greet me! He used to follow my finger very well too. But now, he's getting old (he's close to 2 years old) and he just started having trouble seeing his food, and he doesn't see my finger very well either. It's hard to get his attention to feed him. I hope he perks up!

My betta also recognises me from across the room, and spazzes when I come near the tank.

But, he misses his food too. Why? I think its cause where betta eyes are placed; its hard to see something in front of your nose when your eyes are on the side *grin*

Mine has never missed food.

Mind has struck at food, and have it bounce off him and float away, but never outright missed.

and he must see pretty good cause he snarfs brineshrimp like no ones business

Back
Top Bottom