Betta fish sex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imate003

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I have a quick question. I bought a male Betta not too long ago, I then began to read about breeding and thought it would be a fun process so I went to purchase a female. I do not know much about them, but to me they look identical! Can someone tell me which one is male or female or if they are both males?

Thank you!

Fish 1:
vWL0gUg

Fish 2:
Q0cXGDI.jpg

Your first pic didn't open. I would say the second fish is most likely male. Depending on the type of betta, however, some females can have longer fins. Those bettas are typically quite a bit more pricey than your standard, run-of-the-mill bettas.

Well I know that male bettas will have have long fins and female bettas will have shorter fins and females are smaller usually. But my last female was big! The most sure way to tell is if they have an "egg spot". But the most important part here is, you can't just throw 2 bettas in together and hope they will breed. It's extremely complicated, and you risk death to one of them. Females WILL attack males, and vice verse. If you want the two you bought to live happily ever after, I'd buy a 5 or 10 gallon tank and divide it one put one on each side with a nice filter and heater! Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom