Bettas - Peas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do Bettas eat Peas ? Has anyone here offered them peas ? Please share your experience. I saw on a web-site recently that Bettas ate peas. However, I have heard that Bettas are carnivores. This is very confusing also.

Vijay :?

Wow ! One needs to observe their Bettas quite carefully then. I had no idea about this. Learning something new everyday. I have a planted tankj for my Betta and to notice the poop is not going to be easy as it is lost inbetween the plants at the base.

Vijay

I read on a goldfish page, and would assume it's the same case for most fish, that if the fishes poo hangs on in long strings, the fish might be constipated. Might be easier to view this....

(I also read that you can feed flakes soaked in mineral oil to cure the problem...but uhh, I think i'd prefer the peas personally).

hope this helps!

My Gold Fish usually poop in long strings. So does my Betta. This seems to be normal.

from goldfishinfo.com:

Constipation & Diarrhea: If a fish is being fed an improper diet or living in poor water conditions, it may develop these problems. Diarrhea can be caused by feeding a steady diet of frozen foods. Make sure that you thaw the frozen food in a cup of water from the tank before placing it in the tank for your fish to eat.

Constipation Symptoms: A string of feces hanging from the fish, the stomach swells, the fish is not as interested in food, and the fish acts sluggish or rests on the tank bottom. No symptoms of disease are present.

Constipation Treatment: Do not feed the fish for 2 days. Separate it from the tankmates if possible. After the 2 days feed your fish herbivore plant and vegetable foods such as romaine lettuce, green peas, algae, etc over the next 2 days. After the treatment period you need to feed your fish a proper diet of varied foods.

If the varied diet does not help, or if the constipation is severe and causing your fish much distress, it could be treated with cod liver oil. You place this directly into the fish's mouth. Place 2 drops directly into the mouth of the fish. Do this outside of the main tank. The fish should not be fed for 2 days following the cod liver oil treatment.

As it notes...there are no symptoms of disease other than the long strings of poop...so while it may seem "normal", your fishies probably have a belly ache! I noticed this with my goldfish, then started soaking their flakes in a bit of water before feeding, and feeding some veggies (mostly for my pleco, but they seem to like to nibble as well), and I haven't seen any poop strings since...

I feed my cardinal tetras and clown loach cooked peas as part of their varied diet. I steam the peas for dinner and take a couple out to give to the fish. I pop the fleshy bit out of the skin, mash it with the back of a teaspoon and drop bits into the tank. They all seem to love it.

I also "fast" the fish 1 day per week as I have heard that this is a way to avoid over feeding.

:D

Feeding peas to bettas

Hi...I have read that you can feed a betta a cooked, cooled pea, with the skin pulled off. I have never done this (seems like a lot of fuss to go thru) :lol: !

One of my bettas almost always has a string of poop hanging from him, and my other one doesn't. I read too that this string means that they're constipated, and you're supposed to vary their diet. I feed mine flakes and pellets. But I might try the pea and see if it helps. I'll add some peas to my grocery list!

Back
Top Bottom