Bettas vs other fish..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirkeen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have experience putting bettas with Mollies, Guppies or Swords?

It really largely depends on the betta. Most will do just fine with Mollies and Swordtails, and some will be fine with Guppies (though some see the males as rival bettas because of the colourful tail and attack them) so all you can really do is try and judge if the betta seems too aggressive for these fish. For instance, I've had bettas with Guppies and Mollies with no problem, but I've also had a betta that would attack anything, be it a Molly or an Apple Snail. Personally, I'm no longer a fan of bettas in community tanks because of compatibility issues beyond aggression problems (bettas do best in with 80+ degree water and little water movement and most other fish like some current and temperatures from 74-78 degrees F), but it can and often does work well with all parties involved thriving. If you want to, try it and see, but be ready to take the betta out and have him in his own tank if it doesn't work out.

Good luck!

Oh, and just to clarify, the above is referring to male bettas. Female bettas usually have no problems in a community tank, and you can even have multiple of them, provided they get along with each other (some females are also too aggressive to be anything but by themselves). I hope that helps to shed a little light on the situation!

It really largely depends on the betta.

Ditto. I'm in the same situation as HannahJ. One betta got along fine, my current betta tears other fish to pieces.

You could give it a try and see what happens, just be prepared to move it if neccesary.

All of the bettas I've ever gotten, male or female, never have problems with mollies, and I've had some very agressive males before..but I've seen problems at school with male bettas and male guppies...they don't like their tails. I've never had swordtails though so I couldn't tell you on that one x.x

thanks.. My betta is pretty docile.. He is a laid back kind of guy! I'll give it a shot!

Thanks for the responses! SO QUICK! THIS FORUM ROCKS

I used to have a better with mollies and the like. They never bothered each other, but the betta was certainly the boss. haha

Back
Top Bottom