Bettas with Ramshorn Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm moving to an apartment so I am limited on the number of tanks I can bring with me. My plan is to divide a 10 gallon in half and put my two bettas into it. I also want to use this 10 gallon as a ramshorn snail breeding tank to feed to my figure 8 puffer. I have just read that paradise fish eat ramshorns so I was wondering if bettas could do the same.

It depends on the beta's personality. My sisters beta killed a few ramshorns we tried putting in within a few min. Her other beta on the other hand will sometimes stare at them, but does no harm

I'm tacking onto this b/c my wife's male beta's (Omega) tank seems to be well stocked with algae no matter how often we clean the tank... We were thinking of adding mystery snails is this ok? Or should I try to acquire ramshor snails?

My first betta use to nip at my red ramshorn snails but my second betta had no interest in them so it just depends on the betta. Maybe try a couple and see how that goes?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm tacking onto this b/c my wife's male beta's (Omega) tank seems to be well stocked with algae no matter how often we clean the tank... We were thinking of adding mystery snails is this ok? Or should I try to acquire ramshor snails?

I would go with nerite snails especially if you have algae great little worker's! And they can't breed in freshwater so you won't end up with lot's of snails :)

I would go with nerite snails especially if you have algae great little worker's! And they can't breed in freshwater so you won't end up with lot's of snails :)

So since they breed in brackish water all you have to do is put a little bit of aquarium salt or do you need marine salt? I LOVE the shells but unfortunately I have a freshwater tank. Do they burrow in sand? I want a snail that won't eat my plants but doesn't hide. Also will my dwarf hair grass die in brackish water? I dont have any fish yet so if the dwarf grass will survive i will get nerites and instead of getting a beta ill get a Molly or some brackish fish. know I probably should start a separate thread but since you seem to know about nerites I though I'd ask.

NatureFish
????

You need marine salt and I don't think dhg will survive brackish but I'm not sure

Fishobsessed7

Nerite snail's live in freshwater as well so if you don't want to add salt they'll do fine. My nerites are over 3 years old and I don't use salt. But if you wanted them to breed then they need brackish water. Hope that helps.

Since the dwarf probably won't survive I'll just stick to the original plan of MTS.

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom