Bettas with ther fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obsessedfishlover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently put a male betta with some other tropical fish and so far my betta had gotten along good but today one of my friends said if you put a male betta with other fish it will kill all..... But the pet store guy is a fish professional and tells me opposite.... Since I'm not the best betta expert could any of you ensure it will be alright.... I know that it will prolly get along just want to ensure.....thanks!

I have a female in with African Dwarf Frogs. SHe is my most aggressive fish and no problems. I have two males in two different tanks both with corys and again no issues. I think it depends on your Betta. Some may be way more aggressive than others. I have read the Plakat variety is more aggressive. Do you have plants or aquarium decor to break up with space? That may help also.

I have a female in with African Dwarf Frogs. SHe is my most aggressive fish and no problems. I have two males in two different tanks both with corys and again no issues. I think it depends on your Betta. Some may be way more aggressive than others. I have read the Plakat variety is more aggressive. Do you have plants or aquarium decor to break up with space? That may help also.

I have a fake sea coral type deco. And two live plants all spread out equally and another question I put my betta with regular fish like rasboras and etc but I just didn't know.... I'm going to research about that plakat thing see I didn't even know what that was I'm dumb when it comes to bettas.... Thanks again!

Also good news it's not a plakat but I do have a crowntail and it said that hear are still fairly agressive but I don't think I'm gonna gt my self hyped up about this when my betta is getting along just fine (that is unless you tell me anything lol)

I am no expert from what I have heard as long as there are no other beta fish in there you will be ok. They can be somewhat aggressive to other fish that have long flowing tails from what I hear. Just have to keep an eye on the fish and make sure there are no major issues going on with aggressiveness.

Every Betta is different. Plakats (wild type, short fins) and Crown Tails tend to be most aggressive. But they don't read so some may be ok.
my Veil-tail Bettas have been the only ones I've had successfully ( years ) with other fish.
With community Bettas, larger tanks help. I wouldn't try in less than 10g. Larger is better.

Avoid Guppy males or anything colorful with flowing fins that can be mistaken for another Betta. No Gouramis !!! They like same territory.
Avoid fast nippy fish ! They'll harass the Betta.

I've had good luck with White Clouds, harlequin Rasboras, a female Guppy and Ghost or Amano Shrimp.

I had a Betta kill 6 Cherry Shrimp in an hour. I had a Betta pick eyes out of juvie Panda Cories :(

Live plants offer sight breaks and hiding resting areas. Watch your water flow. Too many bubbles of strong flow can throw a Betta around too much. Fast fish may outcompete Him for food or he may get too fat !

Have a backup tank just in case.

I saved my betta from my cousins wedding and he has been in a 20g for over 6 months. He has been with cories, platy, swordtail, pearl gourami, japonica shrimp, cherry shrimp, and even a small angel for a few weeks. The only problem was the cherry shrimp(5)...that was $20 down the drain. I even sucked him up into the siphon during a water change. I had to blow him out! It was terrible. But he is still great, very very chill.

my veil tail betta is in the 5.5 gal fluval chi with 4 endlers. no problems for the past 3 months. they seem to get along fine.

I have a male veiltail in a 10 gallon with ghost shrimp, mystery snail, and ember tetras with no problems.
I also have my 29 gallon with 1 male king betta and several females as well as 7 gold pristellas, 7 juvenile guppies, 2 endlers, ghost shrimp, and mystery snails. No problems here other than one of the females eating a few snails (largest was slightly smaller than a nickel).
In my gf's 10 gallon, she has 1 male betta with several females and a bunch of ghost shrimp and snails. She had no problems as well, until one night one or two of her females had quite a few shrimp for dinner one night. The main suspect had a huge belly that made my gf's roomate think the betta was pregnant.

I have a delta tail male betta in a 10 gallon with 5 danios, a bolivian ram and a dwarf gourami and they act fine together. I put the betta in a breeder cage for around 2 days inside the tank so he would get accustomed to the other fish and lessen aggression.

I have a delta tail male betta in a 10 gallon with 5 danios, a bolivian ram and a dwarf gourami and they act fine together. I put the betta in a breeder cage for around 2 days inside the tank so he would get accustomed to the other fish and lessen aggression.
I think you have a bit too much fish in a 10gallon. A bolivian ram needs usually 20gal to himself?

Every Betta is different. Plakats (wild type, short fins) and Crown Tails tend to be most aggressive. But they don't read so some may be ok.
my Veil-tail Bettas have been the only ones I've had successfully ( years ) with other fish.
With community Bettas, larger tanks help. I wouldn't try in less than 10g. Larger is better.

Avoid Guppy males or anything colorful with flowing fins that can be mistaken for another Betta. No Gouramis !!! They like same territory.
Avoid fast nippy fish ! They'll harass the Betta.

I've had good luck with White Clouds, harlequin Rasboras, a female Guppy and Ghost or Amano Shrimp.

I had a Betta kill 6 Cherry Shrimp in an hour. I had a Betta pick eyes out of juvie Panda Cories :(

Live plants offer sight breaks and hiding resting areas. Watch your water flow. Too many bubbles of strong flow can throw a Betta around too much. Fast fish may outcompete Him for food or he may get too fat !

Have a backup tank just in case.

Thanks u have been the most help to me! I have harlequin rasboras they never even think about going after him cuz they have had experience with mean fish so whenever I introduce a new fish they don't bother.... And it's also good I have a 30 gal cuz my betta loves it and I think that's y he's not agressive and yeah I think that the only problem I will have is with my black skirt tetras they can be nippy but I haven't had a problem...(yet)

Yeah, keep an eye out for those black skirts. I had 7 of those with 7 gold pristella tetras and my bettas in my 29. And the black skirts were very nippy and aggressive. I rehomed them fast.

WOW!!!

:eek::ermm::huh::blink::confused: OMG!! You are a lucky lucky lucky luckity loo!!!! I want a pic of that tank at feeding time!!!!!

(y):dance: Betta are usually great community additions for their coloration and when added last to an established tank with lots of plants and decoration. Although it does depend on the individual betta and the temperament of the other inhabitants. I keep them with crabs successfully, but have heard they aren't so nice to shrimp and are usually okay with snails.

The prettier and flashier the male betta the more temper tantrums he is likely to throw (this is my experience as a collector). My elephant ear (dumbo style) betta is always attacking anything that comes within sight of him- he killed all my nuisance snail babies, lol. I wish you the best!!!

:eek::ermm::huh::blink::confused: OMG!! You are a lucky lucky lucky luckity loo!!!! I want a pic of that tank at feeding time!!!!!

(y):dance: Betta are usually great community additions for their coloration and when added last to an established tank with lots of plants and decoration. Although it does depend on the individual betta and the temperament of the other inhabitants. I keep them with crabs successfully, but have heard they aren't so nice to shrimp and are usually okay with snails.

The prettier and flashier the male betta the more temper tantrums he is likely to throw (this is my experience as a collector). My elephant ear (dumbo style) betta is always attacking anything that comes within sight of him- he killed all my nuisance snail babies, lol. I wish you the best!!!

:thanks: Lol I will get a picture sure thing. I guess I am pretty lucky to get such a calm betta. Tried to find the most mellow one at the store.

Sorry I am late but here are some pictures of my betta, gourami, and ram relaxing in my tank. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_5147.jpg
    IMG_5147.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5142.jpg
    IMG_5142.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5141.jpg
    IMG_5141.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5133.jpg
    IMG_5133.jpg