Bichir!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393848684.443795.jpg here's mine he's about 4-5 inches long!!! I'm really surprised how fast he grew since I got him a little under 3 inches a month a go.
Should his diet stay the same or should I incorporate other foods since he's pretty big now!!! Share pics if u have any bichirs

You need to keep feeding him what you are now like frozen stuff and maybe brine shrimp or whatever you have been feeding him. But as he gets bigger you need to start feeding him some live foods. Something like small feeder fish would work and maybe something like ghost shrimp.

You need to keep feeding him what you are now like frozen stuff and maybe brine shrimp or whatever you have been feeding him. But as he gets bigger you need to start feeding him some live foods. Something like small feeder fish would work and maybe something like ghost shrimp.

When do u think would be good size to start feeding him live foods. He eats mealworms sometimes but shows no aggression toward my other fish in the tank so idk how he will eat feeder fish

When do u think would be good size to start feeding him live foods. He eats mealworms sometimes but shows no aggression toward my other fish in the tank so idk how he will eat feeder fish

I'd say when he reaches 4-5 inches maybe. He will eat anything that fits in his mouth so if you can find a fish that will easily fit in his mouth he will eat it.

I'd say when he reaches 4-5 inches maybe. He will eat anything that fits in his mouth so if you can find a fish that will easily fit in his mouth he will eat it.

Ok thx for the advice also mines albino senegalus and was told that he won't get bigger then 8-9 inches. Is this true?

Ok thx for the advice also mines albino senegalus and was told that he won't get bigger then 8-9 inches. Is this true?

It really depends on the bichir. Most max out around 8-10 inches but I've heard stories of them growing up to 12 inches.

I think that you shouldn't feed him feeder fish unless you quarantine them. They usually can carry disease instead switch to a high quality food and brine shrimp is probably good

You don't need to feed him live fish, he will eat dead ones. They like earthworms too

don't feed him live fish unless they've been previously gut loaded and quarantined. Even when he gets bigger you should never have him on a diet of only live foods, live foods should be only an occasional snack. Continue to feed him pellets and stuff with the occasional shrimp and bloodworm. Frozen foods can be thrown into the mix as well. Hikari puts out some nice foods for carnivorous fish too.

don't feed him live fish unless they've been previously gut loaded and quarantined. Even when he gets bigger you should never have him on a diet of only live foods, live foods should be only an occasional snack. Continue to feed him pellets and stuff with the occasional shrimp and bloodworm. Frozen foods can be thrown into the mix as well. Hikari puts out some nice foods for carnivorous fish too.

I'm sorry but what's a quarantined tank? Also why does gut loading mean

I'm sorry but what's a quarantined tank? Also why does gut loading mean

A quarantine tank is a tank that's not used for display to treat sick fish or isolate new fish for a time to check for problems. Gut loading is when you feed live Food high nutrition and vitamin foods so that way when the predator eats his prey instead of it lacking vital nutrients and vitamins he'll be packed with healthy nutrients.

That's not true no FW fish needs live feeders
If it was true loads of pred fish wouldn't live long in the UK as feeding live feeders is banned in the UK

Feeding live foods is the lazy fish keepers way of not spending the time to convert them to dead food

Meal worms are fine chopped prawn mussel frozen lance fish or smelt

Feeding live feeders is cruel how would you like to be put in a room with a lion

Good looking lil guy!

Thx u guys I've noticed that he sometimes just hangs by the filter. Like behind the siphon area. He eats a lot tho and still goes back to the bottom but I was just wondering if that was normal

Mine does that too but he's also still fairly young. I've looked it up before and read varying opinions between 'it's fine' and 'it may be a sign of something else' but if your water checks out, and with the diet your feeding him, he should be one happy little guy doin happy little things.

Back
Top Bottom