Biting Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amanda Guitar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Maybe this is not the correct place to post this question, please redirect if necessary.

Why is it my guppies try to nibble at my arm when I'm moving stuff around in the tank or when I'm cleaning? Every single time I'm in there.. at least one or two of them (there are 6) come in for a bite.

Is this normal? It's kind of weirding me out.

Your arm must look delicious :) if you wanna see weird look for a video of a skunk cleaner shrimp cleaning a person's hand. There are plenty in you tube.

It's no big deal, just kind of odd feeling.

Your arm must look delicious :) if you wanna see weird look for a video of a skunk cleaner shrimp cleaning a person's hand. There are plenty in you tube.

It's no big deal, just kind of odd feeling.

That would creep me out. I don't think I'll be putting those in my tank.

I had a really bad burn on my arm and for the longest time I had these two fish that would come and bite the heck out if me!

Consider the fish that are being used these days in some spas to nibble dead skin from feet. I forget the actual species used, but they only eat dead skin, don't touch live skin and thus only remove calluses and corns and the like, quite efficiently too. Your fish might just be unusually interested in the surface layers of skin, which we all shed regularly.

I have a couple of Otos that often sort of nibble on my fingers if my hand is in the tank.

Every time I stick my arm in the tank I am attacked by mollies, guppies, neon tetras, and ghost shrimp. LOL It kinda weirded me out at first until I realized they couldn't really bite me. Out skin is covered with a lot of flora and dead skin cells. I think they see it as a smorgasbord.

Every time I stick my arm in the tank I am attacked by mollies, guppies, neon tetras, and ghost shrimp. LOL It kinda weirded me out at first until I realized they couldn't really bite me. Out skin is covered with a lot of flora and dead skin cells. I think they see it as a smorgasbord.

Yeah it weirds me out still. I'm sure I'll get to a point where I think it's adorable. My smallest guppy is the most aggressive with me. :)

Back
Top Bottom