black kuhli loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw some black khuli loaches at petco on sale for 1.99 each. How are these different from the striped kuhli loaches? I looked them up and it says they are more active than regular khulis, but couldn't really find a lot about them otherwise.
Thanks.

They're pretty active, not sure I would say they are more active than the striped or not. I have more experience with the black than the striped- they are easier for us to get for some reason. They're really neat little fish, and I'd recommend a 20 gal or more for a group. They're very peaceful so I would not recommend housing them with aggressive fish, or fish that are aggressive eaters as they might be outcompeted for food. They seem to be more active at night so I recommend feeding sinking foods after lights out.

I don't know much about them but maybe LyndaB will chime in. I believe she has some of these, but not totally sure.

;)

I have about a dozen kuhlis, a mixture of striped and black. Only the black ones do the "kuhli dance of joy" swimming up and down the side of the glass. My striped ones always stay moving around the bottom of the tank and, in general, are more reclusive than the black ones.

I should mention that as long as you provide them with safe havens like driftwood caves or the like, and also have them in a group, they feel really safe and they remain out and about day or night. I'm wondering when mine sleep. :rolleyes:

I agree with Lynda, my black one is a bit bolder than my striped kuhlis. I don't necessarily think it is more active, it just does more during the daylight hours than most of the striped ones. I will say that my striped kuhlis do that "dance" too. So cute.
I agree about being cautious of tank mates. You also don't want to put them in with anything that will see them as a worm and eat them. Mine are with angels, corys, pitbull plecos, rummies and platys. I have never had an issue with this set-up.
Oh, I also totally agree about feeding the sinking pellets at night and about having proper hiding spots for them so they feel comfortable enough to come out during the day. Mine like to play in my Amazon swords as well.
Mine is a busy-body, so here is the best shot of him that I have.

Attachments

• P8231458.jpg
    P8231458.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 162
Wow, I've never noticed a different between striped and black and never heard that before! My striped ones definitely do that "kuhli dance of joy" lol :)

I can say my Kuhlii's do the dance. I have 3 of the striped variety. I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference in personality between the variations.

That's the surprising thing to me. Mine might as well be two totally different species their behavior is that separate.

They are separate species (oblonga and kuhlii) in the genus Pangio.

Oh so they are a separate species! I got 3 of them for my 29 gallon, I'm concerned that I may be overstocked with bottom feeders. But they are in QT right now and I have tons of filtration. 2 aquaclear 50's on this tank and all live plants. For bottom feeders I have 1 bristlenose pleco, 6 cories, an Apple snail, and malaysian trumpet snails. 1 or 2 ghost shrimp.

Ok nobody is screaming at me about stocking. From what I head the khulis don't take away a lot of space and like to burrow in the sand which I have. So let me know now if I should return them or not. They sure are cute.

No, I think the bottom is fine, as long is there is some good hidey spots for the kuhli's as well as open space for the cories. Kuhlis will do better in groups of 5 or more, however.

I don't think 2 AC 30's on a 29 gal is tons of filtration. IMO you could use an upgrade.

I had no idea they were different species either. ;)

Yep, different species. The black kuhli is also known as the Java Loach. But, I have only ever seen them sold under the name black kuhli, so thats usually the common name I use.
Ashley, I do think the bottom of our tank is a bit full, but I think it will be fine since the loaches and corys are so relaxed. I keep both species together and mine could not be any farther from territorial. I also think you would be ok to get a couple more kuhlis for a grand total or 4-5. :) JMO.

29 gallon, I'm concerned that I may be overstocked with bottom feeders. I have 1 bristlenose pleco, 6 cories, an Apple snail, and malaysian trumpet snails. 1 or 2 ghost shrimp.

Well, had I been on earlier, I would've agreed with you that I think you're overdoing it for bottom feeders in this tank. If I were you, I'd return the kuhlis.

I just checked and I actually have two AC 50's on this tank which rounds out to 400 gph of filtration. I have a friend with a 55 gallon and virtually no bottom feeders I could rehome to, however I do have a lot of plants and driftwood so I am going to give it a try. This is the absolute last addition to this tank. The shrimp are virtually non-existent. The pleco stays to the sides or under the driftewood. And the cories stick together.

Back
Top Bottom