Black Molly fries!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torres

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so i have a black molly and a gold one.
As far as i know, the black one suppose to be male, his anal fins are pointed and sticking backwards. And the female is open.
I woke up this morning looking my aquarium that is beside my bed and saw a black fry. Then i get up and saw that the black molly was giving birth, to alot of them, in total i picked more than 25 of them :D
My black molly almost always had a big belly, so a while ago i searched about its sex and it was pointing to be male, so now it looks like i have 2 females.
Can they have fry without a male in the aquarium?
I have both mollies for 1 month, and im guessing the black one already came pregnant, i dont know cuz there were alot black mollies with her in the pet shop.
Ill post some pics soon

I'm pretty sure they need a partner. I could tell the sex once you get a picture on here and congrats on the fry!!! Coulda got prego at LFS though.

Here you go

img0405wnb.jpg

img0410k.jpg

img0408r.jpg

img0407hx.jpg

i think it will be harder for you to figure out about the last picture, but it you give it a zoom, you can see her anal fin

thanks for replying

The black Molly looks like a female and the other last one looked like a male. I'm pretty sure.

alright then, ill wait for some more posts to make sure, i was almost 100% sure the last one was female. The guy in the LPS just failed again, i asked for a water conditioner he gave me ammo lock, i asked if the molly was female he said yes.
lol-guy.png

torres said:
alright then, ill wait for some more posts to make sure, i was almost 100% sure the last one was female. The guy in the LPS just failed again, i asked for a water conditioner he gave me ammo lock, i asked if the molly was female he said yes.

Oh wow ok. I heard they can have sex changes if they are lonely or something but i don't know to mic about it. I would wait for more post too. People at the LPS aren't the smartest people!

Oh wow ok. I heard they can have sex changes if they are lonely or something but i don't know to mic about it. I would wait for more post too. People at the LPS aren't the smartest people!
I heard about sex change yesterday here, but i just laughed about it, kinda crazy.
I dont like do depend on people that work on LPS thats why i search alot, i know that some of them dont know almost nothing about fish...
Anyway thanks for the help!!

so no one can say if its male, female, shemale? whatever??

That "gold molly" looks like a female pineapple swordtail to me.

I'm going to have to second that.

As for the female molly being pregnant, most stores don't separate the males and females except for guppies. All other live bearers are tossed in together, so yeah, you will get a pregnant one.

Last edited:
That "gold molly" looks like a female pineapple swordtail to me.

I'm going to have to second that.

As for the female molly being pregnant, most stores don't separate the males and females except for guppies. All other live bearers are tossed in together, so yeah, you will get a pregnant one.
So i have a swordtail and didnt knew that?
I bought both fish in different stores, but in the same day. The black one was in an aquarium full of black mollies, and the gold one was in an aquarium with another 'big' mollies.
If its right, thats why its extremely hard to see them together and i guess the black one already came pregnant as she would not be able to get pregnant with another female in the aquarium ;p
This has helped me alot guys thanks!
Now i have 2 females from different kind i dont know if i get a male for each or not... :confused:

Live bearers... Mollies etc can store sperm from mating and continue to give birth multiple times for up to approx 6 mths from one single mating.
They will give birth until they run out of storage...

Live bearers... Mollies etc can store sperm from mating and continue to give birth multiple times for up to approx 6 mths from one single mating.
They will give birth until they run out of storage...
As long as i find a home to them it's alright.
At least the Swordtail if it is one, didnt came pregnant.

Anyway, i know that the fry will just rest alot, but when will they start coming up to get the food? I did throw something there but i didnt see if they have eat, or another fry that i think its a red eye tetra eated.

torres said:
As long as i find a home to them it's alright.
At least the Swordtail if it is one, didnt came pregnant.

Anyway, i know that the fry will just rest alot, but when will they start coming up to get the food? I did throw something there but i didnt see if they have eat, or another fry that i think its a red eye tetra eated.

I've never had fry with adults, but my Molly babies start eating by the end of Day 2

torres said:
thats alright then, some of them already started to eat.
thanks for replying!

Sounds good :) can't wait for my Black Molly to have her babies... :) I wanted Black Mollies when I first started up but wound up with a mess of Dalmatians... So now that I've got this little petite girl I'm very excited

Sounds good :) can't wait for my Black Molly to have her babies... :) I wanted Black Mollies when I first started up but wound up with a mess of Dalmatians... So now that I've got this little petite girl I'm very excited
Cool, just be prepared, I woke up with mine giving birth. I did have a breeding box made by my dad cuz i asked him. And i just asked him to make it for me because when i bought a 2 red eye tetra's last sunday, it came with a fry, probably a red eye tetra as well. So i just picked the fries and put them up in the box, not so easy to keep watching her giving birth and getting all the fries. 1 has been eated by a red eye tetra lol.
It was more than 25, i didnt count, there were too many for it, but about 3 died and now the others are all fine :)
I hope to make a deal with the LPS owner about the fries when they get abit bigger.

torres said:
Cool, just be prepared, I woke up with mine giving birth. I did have a breeding box made by my dad cuz i asked him. And i just asked him to make it for me because when i bought a 2 red eye tetra's last sunday, it came with a fry, probably a red eye tetra as well. So i just picked the fries and put them up in the box, not so easy to keep watching her giving birth and getting all the fries. 1 has been eated by a red eye tetra lol.
It was more than 25, i didnt count, there were too many for it, but about 3 died and now the others are all fine :)
I hope to make a deal with the LPS owner about the fries when they get abit bigger.

I've had 8 batches since September from my Dalmatian, Creamsicle, Silver Mollies... And then my platy Surprised me :)
I move mine to a 10g and then around 6-8wks move to my 20g L

I've had 8 batches since September from my Dalmatian, Creamsicle, Silver Mollies... And then my platy Surprised me :)
I move mine to a 10g and then around 6-8wks move to my 20g L
cool i wish i could keep mine all. I think ill keep 2

Back
Top Bottom