Black stuff on plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just noticed this a couple days ago. Anyone know what it is?
How to get rid of it?

(It didnt cause holes in the Anubias)

Attachments

• 1479433308695.jpg
    1479433308695.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 1479433328270.jpg
    1479433328270.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 80
It's the beginning of black beard algae probably. Very common in planted tanks. Hard to get rid of but there are some things that work. I have never tried it but people say injecting CO2 works well for it.

An alternative is to use Excel over the long term. I tried that. I think it helps but not a total victory.

Amano shrimp worked well for me.
Also this stuff spreads super slow so if you just trim off the leaves that are infected when it makes sense that can help a lot too.

BTW cyano if FW is usually dark green, spreads very fast, and comes off very very easy from rocks and glass. Looks like a slime.

I I tried rubbing it off with my fingers and it doesn't really come off.
I gave the Anubias a bleach dip 2days ago and its still there

I I tried rubbing it off with my fingers and it doesn't really come off.
I gave the Anubias a bleach dip 2days ago and its still there

There are articles around the web about using hydrogen peroxide spot treatments to kill it. I have tested it.

Dosing the tank did not seem to work.
Spot treating did but the damage to the leaf underneath was already there so I had to remove that leaf anyways.
Overdosing knocked my bio filter back a bit and I got a mini cycle but it was short lived and no deaths occurred.

Sometimes the effect takes a few days. If it is Black Beard it will turn red when it dies. Bleach dip is probably the same way.

Back
Top Bottom