Blackmoore question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishJoey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys... Im wondering if this is normal. My Black Moore Espresso is umm... How do i put this... He's eating his poop. It's gross... I feed him Omega One sinking pellets... Right now he's been in a QT bc he had long white stringy poop. So I switched him over to the QT tank and started medicating the tank. Long story short I haven't seen poop in his tank. Fed him this morning and his poop was back to normal I was about to fish it out of the tank but he ate it. Never spit it out. Is this normal behavior? Or does it mean something? He's usually a good eater so I'm just concerned as to why he's doing this. Any who ha... I'd appreciate the help if I could get it. Sorry if I placed this in the wrong place. Don't know how to do this on my iPhone. Thanks in advance.

Normal? Yes and no. Goldfish will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, so this includes waste. However, it's possible that he has a diet/food deficiency. He may be eating it because it's a source of partially undigested food. He may also be doing this due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Animals are well known for eating their own waste or dirt when they are lacking in a vitamin or mineral. So, I would work on expanding his diet from just some pellets. Offer him plain cooked veggies & occasional fruits to munch on daily as well as some fresh proteins in addition to his regular food & see if this helps.

Ahh that makes sense... I have frozen worms and veggies from a lunch pack I fed him previously. But I think I'll go with cooked/steamed veggies. Thank you for your help! I'll see if this helps the poop eating. Gross! :)

Back
Top Bottom