Breeding Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyTy98

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have successfully breed my mystery snail! She made an egg sack and now all I have to do is sit and wait. Ask questions an hopefully we can answer :^)

absolutangel04 said:
Congrats on the snails. :) How many do you have?

Right now I have 2 adults and I don't know how many babies are going to hatch. When they are about to hatch do the eggs turn black??

Morgie said:
Hopefully they hatch! :b
My snails lay a lot of unyeilding clutches.

Thanks!! I am sure at least one baby will survive

Morgie said:
Hopefully they hatch! :b
My snails lay a lot of unyeilding clutches.

About how many weeks did it take for your eggs to hatch??

It takes 2-3 weeks for eggs to hatch. Sometimes, in the absense of a male, females will lay infertile clutches. Make sure they stay above the water-line. How long ago were they laid? Can you take a picture? Honestly, the shouldn't really turn black. They can vary in color form red to greenish.

I guess I can't do a water change,,that might turn out bad. What do you guys think??

absolutangel04 said:
It takes 2-3 weeks for eggs to hatch. Sometimes, in the absense of a male, females will lay infertile clutches. Make sure they stay above the water-line. How long ago were they laid? Can you take a picture? Honestly, the shouldn't really turn black. They can vary in color form red to greenish.

She laid them today. It isn't a big sack. I will take a picture. What does absence mean and what are infertile clutches??

absolutangel04 said:
Why can't you do a water change?

Because the sack is on my fish tank lid. Is it okay for me to remove this lid and have the egg sack facing up on a towel??

She laid them today. It isn't a big sack. I will take a picture. What does absence mean and what are infertile clutches??
Sorry, absense means "not there." An infertile clutch means that the boy's sperm are not in it. So, I meant that if a boy snail isn't there, the eggs might be dead. I am not saying that is definitley what happened, just saying it is a possibility sometimes. But, I don't think you will know for sure until 2-3 weeks have passed because it takes 2-3 weeks for the eggs top hatch.

absolutangel04 said:
Sorry, absense means "not there." An infertile clutch means that the boy's sperm are not in it. So, I meant that if a boy snail isn't there, the eggs might be dead. I am not saying that is definitley what happened, just saying it is a possibility sometimes. But, I don't think you will know for sure until 2-3 weeks have passed because it takes 2-3 weeks for the eggs top hatch.

I have 2 adult snails in the tank so hopefully the eggs aren't dead. What did you think about the picture. The egg sack is on the hood of my fish tank lid. Will I be able to do a water change??

Oh yeah, you can do water changes. I would honestly just leave the eggs there, not you can take them out if you want. They need to kept warm and in humidity, so the tank lid is a good environment for them. But, you can move them is you want. I wouldn't put them on a towel because it could suck moisture away from the eggs. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Oh yeah, you can do water changes. I would honestly just leave the eggs there, not you can take them out if you want. They need to kept warm and in humidity, so the tank lid is a good environment for them. But, you can move them is you want. I wouldn't put them on a towel because it could suck moisture away from the eggs. :)

No,,I mean can I put the lid with the egg sack attached to it on a towel so I can do a water change??

No,,I mean can I put the lid with the egg sack attached to it on a towel so I can do a water change??
Whoops. Sorry fro misunderstanding. Yes, thats fine. Make sure to not leave the lid off for too long because you don't want the eggs to get dry, but yes, its will fine for a quick water change. :)

Congrats hopefully they hatch for you! That would be awesome, are you going to keep the babies if they hatch? When you do a water change are you worried about water splashing up onto the sack?

Hobgob said:
Congrats hopefully they hatch for you! That would be awesome, are you going to keep the babies if they hatch? When you do a water change are you worried about water splashing up onto the sack?

I will keep some of the babies and if I do a water changer I am going to be very cautious.

Back
Top Bottom