bristlenose plecostomus and mystery snail compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zebbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently, I have added 4 marble sized mystery snails to my tank which houses a full grown plecostomus. I noticed that as they crawl around my tank the bristlenose would constantly suck on their shells but I didn't think that he was doing any real harm to them.
Today I noticed an empty shell, so I have 3 left. I just want to find out if the snail just died on its own and then the bristlenose ate the body or if plecos bother snails until theyre weak enough to eat, in which case ill have to move them to a differrent tank.
Anyone have any experience or ideas?
Thanks a ton! zeb

I think you're right, I saw the pleco turning a snail upside down and continued to suck on it but the snail closed up. So ill be transfering the remaining ones into another tank just in case. I was just curious if any one else has experienced this problem as well.

Snails

I use my plecos as a "crowd-control" method for maintaining my snail population. My snails reproduce like mad, so my plecos help me keep the population down.

I kept my apples with my bnp without issues she only cleaned the shells, when one of mine died she tried to eat it yuck!

Back
Top Bottom