Broken Shell - Please Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StyleUK

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today, I noticed that my snail had a crack in it's lower shell near the bottom at the back. The snail won't come out of it's shell now and bubbles are being expelled from the shell :(

I think it must have been at the top of my tank and just fell off or let go and cracked on the bottom on the tank.

Is it okay? Wil it grow back?

Please help I want to do everything I can to help it :'( It's my little baby :)

TIA!!!!!

Hey StyleUK. I had a similar problem recently however, in my case, my snail fell from the top of the tank on the outside. I inspected the crack carefully and noticed that not only was is cracked, it completely split. Since the split occurred directly in the center, it had damaged a lot of internal organs and he did not survive (see my sig).

So, the fact is it depends on where the crack is located and how severe it was. If it isn't completely split, there is hope. The bubbles are a concern. I haven't any knowledge of what that could mean and will not guess.

The shell can grow back but it will take time. I highly recommended checking:

http://www.applesnail.net

Good luck and I hope he survives.

Thanks,

Hes out of his shell now moving around nicely, he's stopped expelling bubbles now and i've added some calcium for him so he can heal faster, the crack is just over 1cm long and theres is a slight overlap between the two cracked peices. He looks fine now and is eating and moving normaly, well for a snail that is :)

Sorry about your snail, i've got a enclosed lid on mine so I don't think he can escape.

Applesnail.net has helped me alot, i've let lots of water out so if they want to lay eggs they can easily, and i've also moved them to a new tank while they heal.

I hope he gets better, he was doing a great job of cleaning up after my other fish!

Back
Top Bottom