Can I get away with "overstocked"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chels10117

Aquarium Advice Freak
So like, I've gone back and forth about my fish stock. I've changed my mind like 5 times.

First I was like I want a Betta soroity, no wait a community tank. I want gourami... Or angel fish... Or both. Trust me I researched like everything over and over and over again to make sure it would work. So I haven't been deciding willy nilly. Lol. I posted a thread about angelfish a while ago because I was thinking about getting some in the future after I researched them. But I saw an angelfish in the store I couldn't live without so I got it. And now I'm addicted to angelfish...

So my current stock in my 36 gal is:
9 neon tetras
6 glofish tetras (white skirts)
1 clown pleco
1 Dwarf gourami
1 angelfish

( I finally got the courage to give up my common pleco in case anyone was wondering. I'll miss him tho. )

Yes, I know the neon tetras might get eaten by the angelfish when they get bigger but I'm hoping with the angelfish being added when they are small it will stop them from wanting to eat them lol. If not then I'll just have to get something else. But I have seen it be done many times by professional fish keepers.

And I also know some people don't like to keep gourami and angelfish together but I have seen it done many times and my Dwarf gourami is a very calm fish. And from my experience all my Dwarf gourami have always been peaceful. So is my angel but then again it's a very small one.

So I'm hoping it all works out. Everyone is getting along.

Anyways, point of this post being with my current stock aquadvisor tells me I'm 99% stocked. Would I be okay "overstocked"? Because I saw 2 BEAUTIFUL angelfish in the store recently I just can't live without.

I'm just worried about aggression and you can't tell the sex so for all I know I could have all males all females or a breeding pair or something... How do you guys deal with that? Just end up giving away the bad angel, or moving them to different tanks or something?

I don't plan on breeding so could I just take the eggs out if they lay them?

Also, I know people say aqadvisor runs on the safe side. And neon tetras are so light on biology as far as I know. I think my filter is a aqueon quiet flow 55. I could possibly afford a better filter in the future. And I'm hoping on a bigger tank in the future too. I do weekly water changes and keep up with maintenance. My tank also has many places for fish to hide.

Anyways enough blabbing. Do you guys think that would be okay to add 2 or 1 more angelfish?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

FWIW I have 2 mature angels in my 40g breeder and they fight quite a bit. They have plenty of cover, and they keep it pretty clean...no fin ripping or wounds, but you may be asking for trouble keeping more than one in that size tank. I'm pretty sure I'm overstocked too because I have lots of other fish as well, but I have 2 Eheim canister filters on that tank and I do 50% water changes weekly. In my opinion I don't think you have adequate filtration for the fish you have, not to mention the additional angels you plan to purchase. I'd definitely look into adding another filter soon, and stay on top of the upkeep! I fell in love with angels too...I plan to have an enormous tank full of them one day :)

Thanks maybe I will get a better filter soon when I get some money. Thanks for the imput. Would you suggest just getting a bigger filter all together or just adding another one? I actually rigged my current filter a bit to put more biomedia in it.

Imo only one angel in a 36 long term, there isn't enough territory for two with that many other fish.

For what its worth the term you keep using of can't live without certain fish may be put to the test if you overstock them. As in I have these two fish I cant live without but one is killing the other?
Also filtration will not help adding fish in this case.

If you get two males they will likely harass each other. If you get a pair they will kill everything else spawning.

Thanks maybe I will get a better filter soon when I get some money. Thanks for the imput. Would you suggest just getting a bigger filter all together or just adding another one? I actually rigged my current filter a bit to put more biomedia in it.

Depends on your budget and preference. You could simply add another hang on back, I'd recommend an AquaClear 70 (I think they are Fluvel now) or a canister filter...much quieter and nicer looking too. I love my Eheim's, but I also had success with AquaClear hob's.

Imo only one angel in a 36 long term, there isn't enough territory for two with that many other fish.

For what its worth the term you keep using of can't live without certain fish may be put to the test if you overstock them. As in I have these two fish I cant live without but one is killing the other?
Also filtration will not help adding fish in this case.

If you get two males they will likely harass each other. If you get a pair they will kill everything else spawning.

+1 I keep a close eye on mine. I don't know their gender, but they've never spawned that I'm aware of. Could very well be 2 males. If the fighting gets any worse, I'll have to relocate one of them. I was hard headed and thought I could keep several in that tank. I lost a few and looking back I'm convinced bullying was the main cause. They are beautiful...but they are also cichlids.

More than one angel in a community tank seems to be asking for trouble.

Overstocking is fine if you do it with purpose and knowledge. Many of my tanks have been as high as 130% with aqadvisor but I'm religious about water changes and I stock carefully.

With 3 angelfish in that size tank though I can't see it ending well. Not enough space, too many territorial fish. You can remove the eggs if they spawn but they'll still beat up on the odd angel out and you can't always be there to remove eggs. I've seen ram cichlids pair and then kill another fish within a 10 hour period of me being away.

Hmm, I wish fish keeping we easier lol. I don't see how other people keep multiple angels then from what everyone is telling me... Also I wouldn't mind getting another hob filter but I don't want to cut open the other filter spot in my lid lol. That may seem like a silly reason tho. Maybe I will just get a more powerful hob filter. Like something for 70 gallons instead of what I have.

Hmm, I wish fish keeping we easier lol. I don't see how other people keep multiple angels then from what everyone is telling me... Also I wouldn't mind getting another hob filter but I don't want to cut open the other filter spot in my lid lol. That may seem like a silly reason tho. Maybe I will just get a more powerful hob filter. Like something for 70 gallons instead of what I have.

Its no different than keeping different dog breeds with different temperaments, it just takes research, practice and experience.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hmm, I wish fish keeping we easier lol. I don't see how other people keep multiple angels then from what everyone is telling me...

Verymuch about tank space, and experience. If you had a 75 gallon I would say give it a shot. But angelfish are cichlids. They are territorial to their core. If you put too many into a small space they will simply fight, much to the detriment of themselves and all of the other fish.

Another thing about cichlids is that they are very individual. Some angelfish will get along just fine and dandy with everyone else, so in some tanks it works out for people. But for the most part it's likely to end badly, in my opinion.

Verymuch about tank space, and experience. If you had a 75 gallon I would say give it a shot. But angelfish are cichlids. They are territorial to their core. If you put too many into a small space they will simply fight, much to the detriment of themselves and all of the other fish.

Another thing about cichlids is that they are very individual. Some angelfish will get along just fine and dandy with everyone else, so in some tanks it works out for people. But for the most part it's likely to end badly, in my opinion.

^ this. Great answer sinibotia, in a nutshell this explains it all and I agree entirely.

Honestly even if this was just a 55 I would say go for it but a heavily stocked 36 just doesn't allow for it.

Thanks guys. I'll take your tips into consideration.

Thanks guys. I'll take your tips into consideration.

If you still want multiple angels in a tank then go with all males. Its the females that are the trouble makers when it comes time for them to breed.

Lol I would but it's really hard to sex angelfish. Unless you have some tips for me on how to do it. Because I have absolutely no clue.

FWIW I have 2 mature angels in my 40g breeder and they fight quite a bit. They have plenty of cover, and they keep it pretty clean...no fin ripping or wounds, but you may be asking for trouble keeping more than one in that size tank. I'm pretty sure I'm overstocked too because I have lots of other fish as well, but I have 2 Eheim canister filters on that tank and I do 50% water changes weekly. In my opinion I don't think you have adequate filtration for the fish you have, not to mention the additional angels you plan to purchase. I'd definitely look into adding another filter soon, and stay on top of the upkeep! I fell in love with angels too...I plan to have an enormous tank full of them one day :)

Plus 1 - I find constant squabbling with 3 but now they have 4ft of dense planting to escape. The 4th one I lost was I think from ganging up. I don't even know if two would work as the stronger may just hunt the weaker.

I have two angel fish in my tank who get on very well. However, they grew up together and are no doubt two dudes or two women. So they don't try and breed which is good because I have discus and don't want any angels getting grumpy or anything.

regardless I need to tell you this story about my brother's angel fish. He was 14 at the time.

He had an angel, all was well. He decided to buy another and they decided to fight. They would lock lips and one day the other angel fish ripped the other ones lips off. the angel with no lips was fine and would swim around and still eat and do it's day to day business but with no lips. My brother and Mum didn't know what to do so decided to drop it off at the duck pond. (stupid I know) I wasn't there by the way..Moral of the story. BE CAREFUL WHEN PUTTING ANGELS TOGETHER. Excuse the caps I am only trying to emphasize the fact they angels are best when they are all introduced to the tank at the same time and around the same age and grow up together

The end

Thanks. I'm still debating on getting them. I have the mindset that one might have to be rehomed if it does not play nice. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom