Care of a peacock eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am considering a peacock eel for my upcoming build
Does anyone have experience with them?
What do you feed them, how big do they get, are they picky about params, will they eat small fish, etc?
Thanks

emerald76 said:
I am considering a peacock eel for my upcoming build
Does anyone have experience with them?
What do you feed them, how big do they get, are they picky about params, will they eat small fish, etc?
Thanks

They are awesome. I loved mine :) very active and had a great personality! Can get around 9" or so, wont eat small fish because they have small mouths, super healthy and hardy :) get one!

They can eat VERY little. While they're young, brine shrimp and blood worms is what I've seen. You can hand-feed later on to make sure they eat (they hide so much as youngsters you pretty much have to sit back and HOPE they eat.) They're not picky about water parameters, they can survive some pretty bad swings. I've never seen an adult kept, but the young'uns are just a joy, especially when they first start sneaking out of the sand.. It takes them a few months to even feel comfortable with a minute or so, but those few trips fill you with happiness cause you know you did something right and made them feel safe. :D

Go for it. It's worth it.

They won't eat small fish because their mouths are tiny.

Yup :) mine was a 7" guy in a 40 breeder and he love it. He loved to play in the plants and he ate A TON! It was hilarious, he would rest in my hand and loved to be hand fed.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yup :) mine was a 7" guy in a 40 breeder and he love it. He loved to play in the plants and he ate A TON! It was hilarious, he would rest in my hand and loved to be hand fed.

I love seeing the difference between the babies and adults. They're like completely different species. :lol:

They love leaf worms or small night crawlers I had a tire track eel and he was 15 inches long when I had to get rid of him he was my favorite hands down but he was picking off small fish shouldnt have to worry about that unless you have guppies and they will eat guppies

Greenphantom said:
They love leaf worms or small night crawlers I had a tire track eel and he was 15 inches long when I had to get rid of him he was my favorite hands down but he was picking off small fish shouldnt have to worry about that unless you have guppies and they will eat guppies

I have guppies and several other small fish in the stock list but tire tracks have bigger mouths than peacocks correct?

Yes I am sure but trust me they will eat those tiny fish I ve has exp. with both species its just like any fish your peacock will get big enough to eat small fish small guppies for the most part but just like anything else it depends on the fish you may get lucky and it wont touch anything it just depends on the individual fish

Greenphantom said:
Yes I am sure but trust me they will eat those tiny fish I ve has exp. with both species its just like any fish your peacock will get big enough to eat small fish small guppies for the most part but just like anything else it depends on the fish you may get lucky and it wont touch anything it just depends on the individual fish

You are comparing two totally differant species. A 7" pecock eel can hardly fit a few blood worms in his mouth, much less a guppy. Mine was with tiny ottos and there was NEVER a problem. Your 15" tiretrack eel is totally differant from a 7" pecock eel.

Ya it could eat guppy fry, but not medium sized or full grown guppys.

Back
Top Bottom