Common pelco max size 10'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I went to petco to get some plants for my 36 gal tank that I'm currently fishless cycling... I was talking to this guy in the fish dept about pelco. Because I was looking for a bristle nose, and all they had were albino bristle nose. He said we don't have the regular bristle nose only albino, why don't u get a common pelco. I then told him, that I only had a 36 gal tank and it wouldn't be big enough for him. He then told me, the common pelco we carry max out at 10 inches , we aren't allowed to sell the really big ones anymore, since people just dump them into any pond after they out grow there habitat. He said my 36 gal would be plenty big enough.... That's when I said thanks for the info and bought my plants and left... Is this true.... Because I
Like the common pelco but as said in another thread by someone I Don't want to confine him and cause him to get sick.... It wouldn't be fair to him to be stuck in a tank that's too small.. He also said it would take a whole for him to even get to 10 inches... Like maybe 3 yrs.....
Thanks for the help
Dan

Ok so I went to petco to get some plants for my 36 gal tank that I'm currently fishless cycling... I was talking to this guy in the fish dept about pelco. Because I was looking for a bristle nose, and all they had were albino bristle nose. He said we don't have the regular bristle nose only albino, why don't u get a common pelco. I then told him, that I only had a 36 gal tank and it wouldn't be big enough for him. He then told me, the common pelco we carry max out at 10 inches , we aren't allowed to sell the really big ones anymore, since people just dump them into any pond after they out grow there habitat. He said my 36 gal would be plenty big enough.... That's when I said thanks for the info and bought my plants and left... Is this true.... Because I
Like the common pelco but as said in another thread by someone I Don't want to confine him and cause him to get sick.... It wouldn't be fair to him to be stuck in a tank that's too small.. He also said it would take a whole for him to even get to 10 inches... Like maybe 3 yrs.....
Thanks for the help
Dan

I don't know what that guy had been smoking but he needs to share... Common plecos can get up to 2 feet, if the one he was selling reaches only ten inches then it wasn't a common. It's probably true about people dumping them when they outgrow tanks though, one reason why our hobby has so many laws and there are people that disagree with keeping fish, its sad. I do know that both my petsmarts and petcos here in Dallas sell the commons, so I don't know who is making that salesperson screw people over like that

thanks for that information... I guess I'll go to a different petco to get a regular bristle nose pelco... The albino look kinda weird lol... Can a bristle nose pelco live in a ten gal tank... I'm trying to get 2 bristle nose for my 36 gal and I thought maybe I'll get one albino for my ten gal tank.

thanks for that information... I guess I'll go to a different petco to get a regular bristle nose pelco... The albino look kinda weird lol... Can a bristle nose pelco live in a ten gal tank... I'm trying to get 2 bristle nose for my 36 gal and I thought maybe I'll get one albino for my ten gal tank.

No, no plecos in a ten gallon. Their bioload and space requirements are just to much for a small tank like a 10g. Even a rubber lip that max out at around 4" shouldn't really be in a ten

Otos are your best bet.

Also the sales guy needs a dunce hat.

Ok thank you.. And lol I figured he was wrong after everything that everyone has told me here and what I have read about them. Everyone on here is such a big help.

Back
Top Bottom