common pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my pleco is getting rehomed Friday because I know it will be too big for my 29 and my lfs finally has room to take him.
My question is this, is he really a common? he looks different than any common I've ever seen especially with the red in his fins. I thought there was something wrong with him when he started developing the red but that was 5-6 months ago.

View attachment 101412

View attachment 101414

He doest look like one to me and I have 3. I would get more options though.

Fishie said:
He doest look like one to me and I have 3. I would get more options though.

I didn't think he looked like a common but I'm not the greatest when it comes to plecos. But I thought that commons were darker but I could be wrong

I'm a complete newbie but happened to be in my LFS yesterday and they had orange spot common plecos, I think that's what they were and they look kind of similar?..

Edit: actually, after googling that I think I'm wrong haha sorry!

Jmurray17 said:
I'm a complete newbie but happened to be in my LFS yesterday and they had orange spot common plecos, I think that's what they were and they look kind of similar?..

Edit: actually, after googling that I think I'm wrong haha sorry!

Its ok you don't have to be sorry at least you tried :) I would love to figure out what he is because I don't want to get rid of him if he isn't going to get that big, but in the same sense I don't want to keep him and risk him getting too big for the tank

There are lots and lots of species (and probable hybrids) that are sold labeled as "Common" pleco. The vast majority get as big or bigger than what we typically call a "common" pleco's size. It looks like a hypostomus, but I can't ID that fish. Check out All L-Numbers • Cat-eLog. Plecos are very tough to properly ID unless their background is known and even then patterns and markings vary greatly. Very nice fish. Good on you for watching out for it's best interests.

I bought it at Wally world as a common, its my only fish that I've got from them that hasn't died. Thanks HN1 for the link. In your opinion should I rehome him?

IMO, yes. I'd say that it will be a big one if cared for well.

Just so you know, getting a picture of the mouth helps with pleco IDs. I totally agree with HN1 though, different species may be called common, but most all of them get huge and this guy likely will too. It's great that you found a new place for him. :)

absolutangel04 said:
It's great that you found a new place for him. :)

Thanks, I don't want to see him go but I have to do what's best for him, he's a part of my family just like the rest of my pets are. I wouldn't keep a big dog in a small kennel just as I wouldn't keep a 12 in. pleco in a 29 gallon.

absolutangel04 said:
You can always find a fun, little one for your 29g. :)

Well I have the 55 but that's in the resealing process so if I do get another one I won't have to worry so much if its in the 55.

Edit: will a bristlenose will be ok in the 29?

absolutangel04 said:
A bnp would definitely be fine in a 29g. :)

Sounds like a plan to me, as I stated before, my lfs just got a shipment in of the bnp so I'll just do an equal trade. :) they are really cute little guys I think that they are albino

Well my pleco was supposed to go to the lfs today but the owner was not there today so the store couldn't take him/her (I don't know how to tell the difference) thank goodness I called first instead of driving the 45 minutes for nothing. I'd thought I'd post a better picture of him to see if it would be easier to recognize the breed. Even though he's leaving soon I'm still curious about it

View attachment 102273

I'd keep em! My lfs has a huge pleco! Look!

ForumRunner_20120622_235152.jpg
He's about 1 1/2 feet long! So if he gets too big you could probably still give it to them!

Back
Top Bottom