Confused about what to do with my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I dunno if I am paranoid, but I think that my 20 gallon looks very ugly, my camera is not working so I can't post a picture but, currently there are:

1 dwarf neon gourami
4 neon tetras
2 neon blue male guppies
2 plain female guppies
2 sunburst platies
2 otos

I have a beige/ivory/white substrate, with lots of shells, rocks, pots and two bushy plants (one real, one fake). But I think my tank is ugly and boring. I am thinking of returning the female guppies and do something with my tank but I dunno what. Any possible advice on what to do.

It sounds like you could use different decor.. Your fish are pretty colorful.. you just need something to accent the colors.. black does well for this.. what color is your background? I like natural looking deep brown or black substrates as well.. :mrgreen: HTH
The fish wont be as colorful if the water isnt quite right either.. maybe your shells and such are making the water unnessiarly more hard.. I would take such things out the pottery or whatever else like that..
Are your fish as colorful as pictures of the same fish that you have seen?

unknown_7 said:
I dunno if I am paranoid, but I think that my 20 gallon looks very ugly

If you think your tank looks ugly then that's all that matters. Don't be afraid to change things up and play around with your set up. I change my tank around all the time. Sometimes something as simple as a back drop change can make a big difference in overall appearance. I often move decorations around and plants get uprooted and moved on a whim. I believe there is proabably something to be said for keeping your hands out of the tank as much as possible but I can't help myself I'm always in there fussing around. I do think it has made my fish less skittish, lol. I often look at my tank and think maybe I should get rid of the decorations and go for a more natural driftwood setup. Then I decide I love my decorations and just move them around a little. I guess what I am getting at is don't be afraid to play with it till your happy. And don't be afraid if your never 100% satisfied as that is part of the fun.

Its taken me four years to get my tank looking how i wanted it! 8O
Most of that time the plants kept dying but i really wanted real plants. About six months ago i changed my ugf to a canister type and now I think it's looking pretty good. But even so I still get bored from time to time. I'm sure the fish appreciate a change of scenery.
I'd say stick with the fish but change the decor.

My background is like a greenish, plant thing. I dunno if my fish look bright enough, they good color at times and not so colorful at other times. I dunno if its the female guppies throwing everything off with their pale colors, cause all the other fish share a common color. The orangy/gold of the platies with the orangy/red of the gourami and the red and neon blue of the tetras with the neon blue of the male guppies and their blue with the gourami and the tetras blue with the gourami. Then there are the females. When I had my silver molly it looked nice, but it died and was too aggressive. However, it was beautiful. I dunno maybe there is too much green in my tank, it is probaly too natural, like a bushy south american biotope natural, maybe a more rocky/cichlid or a island bright and colorful seen would be nice. Or maybe a barren look with all white and only the color of the fish will stand out, maybe the neon colors and bright colors will look like a painting on a blank canvas. I dunno I think the female guppies is throwing it off. I dunno wwhat to do.

Fish living above a beige/ivory/white substrate won't display their most vibrant colors because they don't want to stand out to predators. I bet if you just change out your substrate to something darker, the tank and fish will look much better.

I find that changing things around in the tank is where most of the fun is at in this hobby! :D

I get to that point too, when I think my tank looks like crud. Changing things around does help a lot. I would get a darker background and a few more plants (the fake ones can look just as good as real). Maybe take out the shells and put in some larger rocks, or natural looking caves or driftwood.

My 30 gal used to be the "show" tank. The 75 gal has taken it's place and it really could use an "upgrade". I think it looks ugly (in comparison to the 75) and I'm thinking very hard about what I should do with it.

As QTOFFER states, part of the excitement of this hobby is changing things around...aquascaping is an "art" form where you can express yourself over and over again with your "canvas". Look at what bendy says about his...4 years :D and still there is room to continue.

If you need some ideas, take a look at the full tank pics in the gallery. :)

PS - Meredith has both SW and FW, she will never be finished or satisfied...LOL>

Back
Top Bottom