Considering another tank>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
So Currently i have 3 tanks in my house.

I have a 40gal, with the following:

2 Zebra Tetras
3 Black Fin Tetras
2 Australian Rainbows
2 Giant Danios
2 Red Glass Barbs
2 Chinese Algae Eaters

My Daughter (4.5 years old) has a 5 gal with a platy and a Molly

My Son (7 yrs old) has the 10 gal with:

1 Chinese Algae Eater
1 Albino Cory
2 Glofish
2 Gold Danios
1 X-ray Tetra ( I forget the correct name)
and will have 3 baby Guppies that are in a breeding net in my tank.

Anyway, so I was thinking of another big tank like a 55+ gal.. would like to attempt Cichlids in the new tank or something along those lines

also what type cichlids you looking at trying?

no size is not an issue this one will go in my basement.. (which is why I said 55+) ;)

also what type cichlids you looking at trying?
I am open, I want some more colorful fish without going to Saltwater, which could be fun but might be more work then I am looking for

well if size isnt an issue, and money isnt one either, something alont the lines of a 120 or 125 might be something you should look at. Mbuna are, imo, the prettiest fw fish you can get. They come in all sorts of colors, and are just fun to watch and feed. Btw, that 125 reef tank would be a good tank for you, if you can get it for a good price. My 150g was a reef setup, and after a few razor blades and a couple gallons of vinegar, its housed my mbuna since. just something to think about.

well if size isnt an issue, and money isnt one either, something alont the lines of a 120 or 125 might be something you should look at. Mbuna are, imo, the prettiest fw fish you can get. They come in all sorts of colors, and are just fun to watch and feed. Btw, that 125 reef tank would be a good tank for you, if you can get it for a good price. My 150g was a reef setup, and after a few razor blades and a couple gallons of vinegar, its housed my mbuna since. just something to think about.

Well money is an issue.. LOL so I cannot go crazy.. but I will check into it again

so do you use a different pump from when it was a salt tank?

pump meaning filter? actually im using one of the filters the guy had on it... there is no difference in the filter, you just want to use different media, as the old media has alot of salt in it and would take forever to clean... sorry to mis-direct your thread, but if you can get a good deal on it, i say go for it! And if it has a build in overflow, or is drilled, thats even better, i wish mine was drilled so i could run a wet/dry under mine a little easier... mbuna are messy!

I say African Mbuna tank!! They are just as bright and beautiful as salt water fish, get fairly big at 4-6" and have totally fun personalities! You will find yourself watching them all the time. They are no harder to care for than the other fish you have. :)

A 55 gallon is fine and you can have about 12 in it. Its actually best to crowd them to keep aggression down. The bigger the tank, the more you can put in it.

+1 for the cichlids! I wish I had some, they are so cool and beautiful. And I would go with as big a tank you can afford/the wife will let you! Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Well right now I think the second tank is on hold.. but Cichlids will be the ones when the time comes

Back
Top Bottom