converting mg/liter to ppm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since 1 Liter of water weighs 1000grams (1,000,000 mg)...if you know the concentration in mg/L then the ppm value is the same.

For example:

If the concentration is 50mg solute/L of water then it is also 50mg solute/1,000,000mg of water or 50 ppm.

To make a long story short....the value is mg/L is exactly the same as the ppm value. :D

Edited so that it actually says what I meant it to say!

mg/l and ppm are the same...no need to convert. Its just that technically its expressing it in two different forms.

Since 1 Liter of water weighs 1000grams (1,000,000 mg)...if you know the concentration in mg/L then the ppm value is the same.

For example:

If the concentration is 50mg solute/L of water then it is also 50mg solute/1,000,000mg of water or 50 ppm.

LOL fruitbat, I'm a bio major and you lost me there :wink:

Sorry....

1 mL of water has a mass of 1000mg
1 Liter of water is 1000mL
so....1 L of water has a mass of 1,000,000 mg (1000 X 1000)

If you have a concentration of 50mg/L...that is the same as 50mg/1,000,000mg
This is 50mg of solute per 1,000,000 mg of water or 50 parts per million.

*Chuckle* It's thanks to the fact that the metric system (mg/L) is more logical, and works with a base 10 system. Thus, mg/L comes out as a ratio of 1/1,000,000. In the SI system (Systeme Internationale d'unites), we couldn't say "ounces per gallon" and still have a nice ratio like 1 to a 1,000,000. So, we have to call it "parts per million" instead.

Just another proof that we really need to convert to the metric system! Come on America, almost the entire world has, and we're dragging our feet. :wink:

I bought a Hagan test kit and it barely shows any nitrates. I added 1/2 tsp. potassium nitrate to a 55 gal. it still shows less than 5. I thought the conversion was wrong. Should I add more or is the kit not reading correct?

Back
Top Bottom