Couple of questions :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello I have a few questions to make sure I'm doing everything I can to rid y green alge/green cloudy water.

My tank is 110L, planted with crypts, baby tears (when they choose not to escape the sand bed!) and lindernia rotundifolia.

My params are ph 7.8 ammo 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 5

I do a 40L + pwc weekly (bi weekly ATM) and I dose the day after the water change with seachem flourish I also have root tabs for the crypts.

My lighting schedule is 10 hours per day my tank doesn't have the option to only have one light on.

Any observations from more esperiencr aquarists is gratefully received :D

Does your tank happen to be near a window? What type of sand is it?
An easy way to get rid of it is to leave the lights off for a while and do large water changes more often.

Yes it is about 6ft from patio doors. I have no other place to put it but we don't have much sun here at the moment just dreary rain! :)

Oops the sand is aquarium sand I think it was caribsea the tank was fine for a few weeks and now this!

I would do a blackout, turn your lights off for three days, you can even cover the tank with a blanket to make it darker.
After that, turn your light on maximum 6 hours a day, 10 hours is too much IMO.

Are there fish in the tank? Algae some times means overfeeding.

Thanks, yes I have fish but only feed as much as they eat up pretty quickly. How will a complete black out affect the fish? As for lighting times there seems to be so many differing opinions lol! :)

maestromad said:
Thanks, yes I have fish but only feed as much as they eat up pretty quickly. How will a complete black out affect the fish? As for lighting times there seems to be so many differing opinions lol! :)

Imagine us going without the sun for a day or two... That's how it would be for them sort of like an eclipse.

Ok I shall try that then not sure if I'd be able to keep them covered up with a blanket too though! I'd miss checking and counting them lol! Sad I know

Does anyone know if a blackout will affect mu female cory who is laying or the eggs I've managed to put in the breeder box??

Algae needs Nitrogen, phosphate, potassium, and light to survive. So keep things in check and you can get rid of the algae problem. Never use a chemical to treat algae problem unless its your last reort. Also remeber algaecides are harmful to invertabrates, scaleless fish and plants. I used "jungle" algae be gone one time to get rid of 100% overgrown algea on my cave rocks. 2 weeks later and 2 water changes it was all gone. But it killed 90% of my Java moss which was attached to a peice of driftwood. I kept the dose below the recomendation it worked but I feel bad cause it probally was stressing out the fish with the chemical also. I then made sure not to overfeed my fish and I have not had an algae probelm since and that was 3 and a half months ago... Also now I use a corner "Green Killing Machine" UV sterilizer 24/7 and no algae.

Wow on day 3 of blackout and water just a bit cloudy now I can even see the plants at the back! Thanks to everyone for thier help I'm so pleased it worked!!

maestromad said:
Wow on day 3 of blackout and water just a bit cloudy now I can even see the plants at the back! Thanks to everyone for thier help I'm so pleased it worked!!

Glad it worked, you can repeat it as needed, I recommend you to wait another week and repeat it again...

Well here is my non cloudy tank! After a 50L pwc!
My next investment is a background but can't choose between black or blue lol

maestromad said:

Black is always a good choice, it makes colours brighter IME.

Makes live plants look great too! :)

maestromad said:

Much better, I'm glad it worked for you, not all the time works as good, but remember, you can repeat this process after two weeks as needed....
No harm to the fish of the plants....Good luck

Back
Top Bottom