Crossover time for new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kennyyoli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Fluval C4 that is replacing an Aquaclear 30 that will be stepping down to a quarantine tank. I had been running foam and bio-max only in the 30, so I just robbed one of the bio-max bags and put it inside the charcoal basket of the C4. I am going to run both filters until the C4 gets colonized with BB. How long it will take to colonize the new filter? ? Is there any way to be sure?

Thanks in advance as usual :)

To get a good colony growing to match your bio load will take 4-6 weeks(y)
However you already have a pretty decent amount in the media from your other filter.

Good luck with that Fluval C4. I was running one for about 5 months and I was pretty unimpressed with it. I replaced it with an aqueon 75 that I got really cheap. The Fluval c4 is rated for a 70 gallon tank but it couldn't even keep up with my 37. I know the Aqueon 75 is much stronger, but I just feel the fluval c4 would be better suited for a much smaller tank than it is rated for.

You could run them side by side for a month, but as Foster said you could just use the media from your old filter in the Fluval. Whatever you can fit from the old filter inside of that carbon basket should do the trick. I would test everyday though.

Thanks everyone for the info. I was a bit surprised to hear the poor review of the C4 though. I researched it pretty thoroughly and the only bad things I had read were about noise. I did the lubrication and teflon on the impeller fix and mine is as quiet as the Aqua Clear 20. I hope it will be able to nandle the tank now...

Back
Top Bottom