Cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive had a cyanobacteria problem for a few months and blackouts work for like a week and then it develops again. How can i fix this?

Have you tried treating with erythromycin? Worked very well for me in conjunction with a blackout. I also added a powerhead to my tank to eliminate any possible dead spots/flow issues.

You may also be able to spot treat with hydrogen peroxide. Takes a bit of time but good if you just have a few patches.

Chemiclean worked wonders for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Erythromycin will get rid of it and it will probably not come back. I tried everything else before I gave up and did the Erythro. One treatment course, 5 days, and it was done. It will not hurt your beneficial bacteria at all. The Erythro treats gram negative bacteria and BB is gram positive. Just be sure to clean up the dead cyno or it will cause an ammonia spike.

This is what I don't get. Erythromycin is for gram positive bacteria in most links I can find (see below, although you have to scroll a bit ).

But I've seen a few threads now using this and ammonia hasn't lifted. Has anyone had troubles with ammonia and using erythromycin??

I believe nitrifying bacteria are meant to be gram positive however have seen one article that said they are actually gram negative but behave as gram positive - whatever that means.

I used peroxide so I wouldn't be bombing the system. Now I'm starting to wonder if erythromycin would have been fine.

http://www.algone.com/bacteria-and-antibiotics-in-the-aquarium

This is what I don't get. Erythromycin is for gram positive bacteria in most links I can find (see below, although you have to scroll a bit ).

But I've seen a few threads now using this and ammonia hasn't lifted. Has anyone had troubles with ammonia and using erythromycin??

I believe nitrifying bacteria are meant to be gram positive however have seen one article that said they are actually gram negative but behave as gram positive - whatever that means.

I used peroxide so I wouldn't be bombing the system. Now I'm starting to wonder if erythromycin would have been fine.

http://www.algone.com/bacteria-and-antibiotics-in-the-aquarium

Nitrifying bacteria are gram negative, although a ammonia spike does sometimes occur due to the mass die-off of cyano.

Sent from my iPad using science

What's your tank cleaning routine?

I had it recur in a 3 gallon betta tank over and over. I even bleached the tank and started fresh a few times. It finally stopped coming back when I added live plants.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom