Cycling 40 gallon tank using my 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jbaygurl78745 said:
What fish aare hardy enough to cycle with? I always thought platies were hardy lol

I think they are. That's what I've used for my unplanned fish in cycle, a micky mouse and a red wag. I'm in week 4 (getting close to week 5) of my cycle and my platys are doing just fine. I've had somewhat of an ammonia spike (hasn't gone above 1) and I'm having a nitrite spike (today was my highest at 2ppm) now, but am able to keep them under control with wc's at a manageable and safe level for my fish. I'm showing nitrates for a couple days now and I'm just waiting on nitrates to make those nitrites to start dropping and disappear!

Mrs.h2012 said:
I think they are. That's what I've used for my unplanned fish in cycle, a micky mouse and a red wag. I'm in week 4 (getting close to week 5) of my cycle and my platys are doing just fine. I've had somewhat of an ammonia spike (hasn't gone above 1) and I'm having a nitrite spike (today was my highest at 2ppm) now, but am able to keep them under control with wc's at a manageable and safe level for my fish. I'm showing nitrates for a couple days now and I'm just waiting on nitrates to make those nitrites to start dropping and disappear!

I always picture all livebearers to be pretty weak against new tank syndrome. I've had a bad experience with goldfish too

Back
Top Bottom