Did something crazy today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya I'm still finding fry. Just found 6 more but I am my sure if it's platy or guppy since I have pregnant mommas of both species in mah ten gallon breeder tank
That's why I immediately place pregnant mommas into the breeder trap as soon as I can tell of their pregnancy. I leave her in there until I have not seen new fry for a week, but occasionally I find a few overdue fry in the big tank, poor buggers.

Ya unfortunately my breeder net is housing 30+ fry until I can move the mommas to my other tank. My fry are maybe 2 weeks old

ok. so i took the momma out of the breeding net tonight. i have found no more fry. should i put her back in there until fry are in there too?

I would say any day now, at most a week I'm guessing
I would say 1-4 days, she is pretty gravid. I would check the trap every so often, that's how close she is to giving birth.

Oh, and a word of warning, first batches have a bit of a low FSR (Fry Survival Rate) so I hope you won't be too discouraged if you lose some. I have gotten PMs and threads saying that they are really discouraged because of the fact that they cannot keep fry and/or mommas alive. Just check my profile comments. Guppy Freak is having a hard time with guppy pregnancies.

Yes, i keep randomly checking for fry. I have a different guppy question, my males in my other tank are all kind of huddle together in the top corner of my tank. Is that normal?

I also rearranged some fish tonight from my community to the "male guppy" tank. And i picked up a few more female guppies since my ratio was so off w/only having 1 female and 7 males. I still don't have enough female to balance out the males, but i now have 5 females and 4 males in one tank and the other tank i put 3 males and the pregnant guppy in the breeder box in that tank. Do you think that is ok or am i just messing everything up?

Yes, i keep randomly checking for fry. I have a different guppy question, my males in my other tank are all kind of huddle together in the top corner of my tank. Is that normal?

I also rearranged some fish tonight from my community to the "male guppy" tank. And i picked up a few more female guppies since my ratio was so off w/only having 1 female and 7 males. I still don't have enough female to balance out the males, but i now have 5 females and 4 males in one tank and the other tank i put 3 males and the pregnant guppy in the breeder box in that tank. Do you think that is ok or am i just messing everything up?
1. No, I would immediately check the water parameters with a test kit.

2. That's ok for now, but it would be less stressful for the females if you purchased some more females...

You can either keep them as is or separate the sexes entirely until you have the right ratio

I tested the water and the ammonia may have been a hair above 0. And the PH was almost 8--is that to high? The nitrites were 0 and the nitrates were 5. So i did a 25% PWC. I think they've been acting a little better now, but i haven't had to much time to watch them after i did the PWC.

Also, i read somewhere that all male guppies in a tank together could get hostile, so that's why i switched everyone up.

I tested the water and the ammonia may have been a hair above 0. And the PH was almost 8--is that to high? The nitrites were 0 and the nitrates were 5. So i did a 25% PWC. I think they've been acting a little better now, but i haven't had to much time to watch them after i did the PWC.

Also, i read somewhere that all male guppies in a tank together could get hostile, so that's why i switched everyone up.
No, my pH is that high, and I've BRED fish in that kind of water! I'm glad you did the water change, that's gonna help.

Tested my water again in my guppy tank and I'm having a hard time deciphering between ammonia 0 and at .25. So I took a pic of my test results with & without the flash.

View attachment 87864

oh, good. that was after the water change (which i did last night). i guess i posted the pic twice! my guppy is still in the box and no babies. i feel bad that she is in there all alone, but it's normal right? Will she be ok in there until she has her babies?

Just monitor her off and on, If she looks stressed out just take her out of the net. Are there other tankmates? If not you could let her e solo and maybe shell drop outside the box

yes, there's a bunch! if my 10g was cycled (just started that yesterday), i would stick her in there, but it's not fish ready yet. she's sort of just chilling out in there, so i guess she's fine. i just feel bad she has such little room to swim around.

yes, there's a bunch! if my 10g was cycled (just started that yesterday), i would stick her in there, but it's not fish ready yet. she's sort of just chilling out in there, so i guess she's fine. i just feel bad she has such little room to swim around.
Don't feel bad, I think she's good. It actually looks like one of the roomiest breeding traps I've seen in a long time!

Back
Top Bottom