Did something crazy today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canada is great for fishing for sure. The downside to Canada is the cost behind the hobby. We pay much more for things and with our population not being as large as the USA we rely on a smaller number of local or stores. Mostly late chain stores but a far fewer amount of hobbyist breeders that aren't in it just for the money.

I hate venting really I just wish I had a larger availability to different species and lower prices that were equal to the states as our dollar is practical on par

Yes, I do, but some pics look like a platy & some looked like a guppy. Figures, the ones I'm paying no attention to are having babies!

Ya I have that problem with mine too, once they start growing and showing color then I'll know for sure. I'm thinking most of mine are platy

Do you think there's only one? Do fish only have 1 baby?

Also, the one guppy I kept thinking was going to drop soon & posted pics of her, she died. I have no idea what happened. Actually, i think i may know, i stuck her in the breeder box, b/c I felt like it was time (again) & the next morning--dead. I'm not doing good with these fish! I really hope the fry is hers, so I have a little tribute from her.

There could be more, they could be in the gravel also. I've found some in there also. But I've never had any of mine drop in a net I've always let them do it in the tank. but then I spend an hour fry catching lol. It's an artform

An art form indeed! One I'm really new at, but gaining a little experience. I'm hoping my 10g will be ready in a couple days and I'm going to move my fry in there. Anywho, off to watch the DVR! :)

Oh I'm new at it too. These are my first two batches of fry. All I have in my ten gallon are fry, apple snails and 1 guppy. But that'll all change soon as I'm working on cleaning my 55 gallon

I wanted to show you my platy & see if u think she might have had the fry.

View attachment 89691

View attachment 89688
Yes, it is quite possible. She looks pretty pregnant, I hope there are more fry nearby! The mothers may have died due to stress of being moved into the breeder trap, and couldn't survive. It sounds far-fetched, but I have had/heard this problem occurring many times...

Found another fry! This one is a platy I think. It looks a lot older than the one I found yesterday & different, but younger than my 2 other platy fry. So, I now have 4 fry in my baby net, moving them soon to their own 10g. I'm getting a little better at finding & catching fry, but obviously missing a lot of births going on. ;)

I've been running my 10g with seeded media & I bought some nutrafin cycle starter (I figured it couldn't hurt & it had good reviews) for 1.5 weeks now. So, thinking I'm going to move them soon. Just a little nervous , b/c I don't want anyone fry dying.

Found another fry! This one is a platy I think. It looks a lot older than the one I found yesterday & different, but younger than my 2 other platy fry. So, I now have 4 fry in my baby net, moving them soon to their own 10g. I'm getting a little better at finding & catching fry, but obviously missing a lot of births going on. ;)

I've been running my 10g with seeded media & I bought some nutrafin cycle starter (I figured it couldn't hurt & it had good reviews) for 1.5 weeks now. So, thinking I'm going to move them soon. Just a little nervous , b/c I don't want anyone fry dying.
Just check the water parameters in the 10 gallon. If there is no ammonia or nitrItes, but there are readable nitrAtes, then your tank is ready for the fry transfer. I hope you find some more fry!

holy cow, check out my nitrates! I'm not sure my cycled tanks are thus high. I guess the nutafin cycle had a lot to do with that. :?

having issues with pic...

holy cow, check out my nitrates! I'm not sure my cycled tanks are thus high. I guess the nutafin cycle had a lot to do with that. :?

having issues with pic...
If there isn't any fish in it already, then a large water change would be awesome. I would say a 75 - 80% water change, or else you could do two 50% water changes a day or two apart. Pardon me saying, but those cycle starters don't really help anything, or they make things worse IME. If you haven't done a water change on this tank before or it's been a while, I would understand why your nitrates are soo high. Also, ten gallon tank's nitrates rise more rapidly than the larger tanks because there is less room for the nitrates to spread out in.

Yes, they are quite high. So, go do a water change!

No, i've never done a water change b/c i just set it up 1.5 weeks ago. So i'll do a 50% water change (or should i do more). Do you think it'll be safe to move my fry in there today or should i wait a day? :thanks:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom