Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Discus and beta

I have 4 discus, think a beta would be a good addition? Or am I out of my mind??
__________________

__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur View Post
I have 4 discus, think a beta would be a good addition? Or am I out of my mind??
I don't think it is a good idea.
__________________

__________________
fishrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
It actually may not be that bad of an idea but there are some issues that could get in the way of this idea. They both like the same temps, they look nothing alike so the betta shouldn't attack him or do anything but flare or anything. Now all bettas are different. Some bettas live perfectly fine with other fish while others kill anything else. I've had both so mix them carefully. You could try introducing the betta seeing how they react and going from there. If it doesn't work out within the first hour or so then just remove him. Now if the tanks too deep the betta cannot go in it. Bettas like shallow tanks so they can easily reach the top for air, if the tanks too tall he'll become worn out, tired and stressed. And I'm no discus expert but I do believe they like tall tanks. Again it may work it may not it depends on a few pretty major factors
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
You need to be careful, I once added a male crowntail betta to my 55 gallon community, and ripped apart 4 fish over night
I now have a veil tail that has been in tere for about 3 months now and he is perfectly fine, and remember, you gotta keep that tank very tidy!
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
molliwopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Uk, England.
Posts: 2,110
Hmmm, discus in a community scenario with a betta i would maybe say yes. But if they are mature and have been kept alone my instinct says no. They would be able kill the betta quickly. If theyre juvi and small and tolerate the betta it could work. Discus can be community kept and people keep things like tetra in a discus tank in them all the time, theyre fast and the discus would have a hard time catching them even if they wanted too. A betta on the other hand wouldn't be able to escape and might just get bullied to death.
__________________
Fish die belly upward and rise to the surface. It's their way of falling.


[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
You need to be careful, I once added a male crowntail betta to my 55 gallon community, and ripped apart 4 fish over night I now have a veil tail that has been in tere for about 3 months now and he is perfectly fine, and remember, you gotta keep that tank very tidy!
See, bettas have a range of personalities they must be watched very closely.
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Not just the betta, but like mentioned above the discus as well
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Thanks for the input everyone. I have decided not to get a beta. The tank is a custom 70g tall. I currently have 4 discus, 8 panda Cory's, 1 Adonis pleco. I think I will leave it at that.
__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
dwayne.aycock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Riverview, Florida
Posts: 404
Discus is a South American and intolerant of many water conditions. Water for discus must be soft, very warm, low TDS and Conductivity. I don't think Betas can tolerate the temps. In addition to the possible disease vectors, I would avoid this combination. I have a Discus tank with the following:
22 Discus, 8 red eye tetras, 30 Cardinal Tetras, 8 ottos, 3 Green Cories, 4 Albino Cats and 1 Pleco. This is a heavily planted tank, and everyone gets along well (both plants and fish). I won't dare add anything more, and this is a 135 gallon tank. All of my Discus are about palm size, and have plenty of swimming room. I have had this combination for well over a year with few problems.
D
__________________
dwayne.aycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
It actually may not be that bad of an idea but there are some issues that could get in the way of this idea. They both like the same temps, they look nothing alike so the betta shouldn't attack him or do anything but flare or anything. Now all bettas are different. Some bettas live perfectly fine with other fish while others kill anything else. I've had both so mix them carefully. You could try introducing the betta seeing how they react and going from there. If it doesn't work out within the first hour or so then just remove him. Now if the tanks too deep the betta cannot go in it. Bettas like shallow tanks so they can easily reach the top for air, if the tanks too tall he'll become worn out, tired and stressed. And I'm no discus expert but I do believe they like tall tanks. Again it may work it may not it depends on a few pretty major factors
Bettas can use their gills too. With enough oxygen in the air, they don't need to swim to the top
__________________

__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.