Divided betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally upgraded Mr Piggy and Mr Fussy to their 10 gallon divided tank. I made the divider out of plastic canvas (from the craft store) and report cover binders. I've read about this being done many times in different forums and websites.

Mr Fussy (crowntail - who should be renamed Mr FLARE because he flares at EVERYTHING) figured out how to jump the divider !!!! I almost had a couple of heart attacks - the first one was when I couldn't find him - the second one was BIG when I saw him in Mr Piggy's half of the tank !!!! He was flaring like mad; Mr Piggy (who should be renamed Mr LAID BACK was just swimming around not even paying any attention to Mr Fussy - as if to say "what's HIS problem - what an IDIOT")

Lesson: Make sure the dividers are high enough !!!

Thankfully I had bought a couple of extra pieces of plastic canvas so I made a "cover" of one to fit over the barrier and under the hood cover.

I love the names of your bettas! If Mr Fussy continues to be aggressive even after he can no longer jump the barrier, put in some fake or real plants to lessen his view of Mr Piggy. This will help calm Mr Fussy and prevent an early fishy heart attack :D

I tried that once. Made the divider out of plastic canvas stuff and put 2 pieces together to make it non-see through. Well it didn't work. They still flared at each other and they would swim up and down the divider to try and get over there. I was afraid they would knock it down or jump over so I put the other betta back in his 5g. I even tried putting some Vals along the divider on each side. Didn't work.

I hope things work out for you!

Cute names by the way.

I had the same thing happen in my tank (divided into three parts). I'd been using th set up for over a year now, when one day I couldn't find the middle betta. A few panicked moments later, I noticed him on the other side of the divider on the right with his neighbor. I assume he jumped it, since the edges are platic flat things plumb against the wall.

The funniest thing? The two male bettas were completely ignoring each other. No flaring, no extended fins, no damage on either to indicate a fight. They were both kinda drifting mere inches apart. It was surreal.

Thanks - they named themselves through their eating habits LOL

I have some fake plants and real java fern (TINY) waiting to grow attached to the divider. I had some 3lb test "camoflauge line" for fishing that I used (I must have been nuts ! they don't call it camoflauge for nothing - I could barely see what I was doing !!! LOL).

When they lived in the 2 2.5Gs they could just about always see each other. Mr Fussy is a flarer - I think he likes to show off his crowntail - but he rarely flared at Mr Piggy when they were only 1" apart. Mr Piggy never flares (he's either a wimp or just very laid back).

They're now on the opposite side of the tank they started out on - I think that's helped a bit too, but who knows what tomorrow may bring ! Might have to attach some more viewblocks to the divider. If that doesn't work Mr Fussy can always go back into his 2.5G.

Mr Piggy's old 2.5G is already occupied LOL - I just couldn't resist !!! His name is Spot. He's peachy/white with a few dark spots on this fins. Really pretty and definitely different.

bettas

Joannde, why not bow to the inevitable and set up another 10 gal. Then each can have his own little kingdom. Plus you get to have another school of cories and otos. :D It is a win-win situation!! Well, except for the cost, maintenance, etc. Details.

JeffreyL - I like the way you think ! LOL. I think my husband would end up putting ME in a tank however, but I'm working on him !!!! LOL

betta

Then lure him into getting more involved in the hobby. Maybe let him feed Mr Piggy. Guys are a sucker for a cute critter that eats from your fingers. Especially if, like our Bruce, he misses and hits the finger! LOL Then when you hit him with the old "look at how much we can save ..... it is all on sale" logic, he won't know what happened. Works on us guys all the time. :D

Hmmmmmmmm, maybe Spot can be HIS fish. Spot is near the kitchen, which is one of my husband's favorite rooms.
And I like the sale idea .... now that I think of it, I already have an extra air pump, and the original hood off my 29G will fit one of the 20Gs I found. Goodness knows I have enough food, Prime and meds to last an eternity. So the only equipment I'm missing is one hood and two filters ..... its almost wasteful to NOT set up those 2 20 gallons !!!! I love it !

betta

Joannde, do you have a Petsmart? If so find out if they will honor their online prices at the local store. If so you can save a big chunk on high dollar items like filters, lights and heaters. And no, I do not work for, or am in any way affiliated with Petsmart. I just try to be chea ...... frugal. lol Hmmmmm. Wonder if Petco would do the same thing?? Regardless, sounds like you have a good strategy mapped out. :D Hope the campaign is successful!!

I do indeed have a Petsmart near me - and I know half the employees by name LOLOL.

My husband just needs to get used to the idea of additional tanks - and when I think he's had enough time to mull it over I'll just DO IT. For YEARS he said "NO DOGS" - until I upped and brought one home from the shelter without his knowledge - now he calls her "his friend"

I definitely plan on getting the best price for what I want. I find BigAlsOnline to have the best prices, even after adding on shipping. BTW, most Petsmart's will also price match their own online prices which tend to be less than those in the actual store - that's another good way to save a few dollars here and there.

Back
Top Bottom