Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do schooling fish really need to be in groups of 6

This occurred to me but I've seen so many people on this forum with insufficient numbers of danios or neon tetras but now I'm thinking "is it really insufficient?" I mean at my camp they had a fish tank with 3 neon tetras and they were active and perfectly normal

Old 08-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

While some people have had success keeping smaller schools it is always recommended that you keep as big a school as possible to help mimic their numbers in nature it will also cut down on aggression.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobjoefredsky View Post
they were active and perfectly normal
How would you know they were perfectly normal unless you could compare them to a larger school being kept in optimum conditions? It's really apples to oranges. Unless fish are kept in proper school sizes, you really don't get to bear witness to their true behavior and they don't get the opportunity to feel as comfortable as they should.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB

How would you know they were perfect normal unless you could compare them to a larger school being kept in optimum conditions? It's really apples to oranges. Unless fish are kept in proper school sizes, you really don't get to bear witness to their true behavior and they don't get the opportunity to feel as comfortable as they should.
Ok I guess your right
Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My husband will tell you I'm always right.....
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
come get me tang police!

No, there isn't a magic number that works for everything, people just give basic guidelines. Every situation is different though and so are opinions. Generally speaking though with schoolers, more = better. Many 'schoolers' don't even exhibit that 'schooling'/shoaling behavior in large groups if there is no threat around.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you go with at least 3 schooling fish, itll be all good!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel that the bigger the school, the better. I think when fish are in schools of 5+ they show their true beauty. They won't be as stressed and they will thrive if given a few more of their own kind, in a good sized aquarium.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp3322 View Post
If you go with at least 3 schooling fish, itll be all good!
I'm sorry, I must respectfully disagree with this. Corys are good in groups of 3, but schooling fish, in my opinion should have as many as possible, but at least 6.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Samzter, I keep a school of 21 Rummy nose and 12 Diamond Tetra's. You should see the school of Rummy nose actually schooling and moving as one big fluid group around the aquarium. The Diamonds tend to stay fairly tight also and have actually considered adding a few more to make a sizeable school. And with larger schools most things won't bother them, like loaches playing games through them or even angels spawning. If they feel threatened they move, as a unit and it is truely a sight to behold.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats
I agree with Samzter, I keep a school of 21 Rummy nose and 12 Diamond Tetra's. You should see the school of Rummy nose actually schooling and moving as one big fluid group around the aquarium. The Diamonds tend to stay fairly tight also and have actually considered adding a few more to make a sizeable school. And with larger schools most things won't bother them, like loaches playing games through them or even angels spawning. If they feel threatened they move, as a unit and it is truely a sight to behold.
Kind of like a swordfish going through a school of sardines.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 with samzter.

Tags
schooling, schooling fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com