Do schooling fish really need to be in groups of 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This occurred to me but I've seen so many people on this forum with insufficient numbers of danios or neon tetras but now I'm thinking "is it really insufficient?" I mean at my camp they had a fish tank with 3 neon tetras and they were active and perfectly normal

While some people have had success keeping smaller schools it is always recommended that you keep as big a school as possible to help mimic their numbers in nature it will also cut down on aggression.

they were active and perfectly normal

How would you know they were perfectly normal unless you could compare them to a larger school being kept in optimum conditions? It's really apples to oranges. Unless fish are kept in proper school sizes, you really don't get to bear witness to their true behavior and they don't get the opportunity to feel as comfortable as they should.

LyndaB said:
How would you know they were perfect normal unless you could compare them to a larger school being kept in optimum conditions? It's really apples to oranges. Unless fish are kept in proper school sizes, you really don't get to bear witness to their true behavior and they don't get the opportunity to feel as comfortable as they should.

Ok I guess your right

No, there isn't a magic number that works for everything, people just give basic guidelines. Every situation is different though and so are opinions. Generally speaking though with schoolers, more = better. Many 'schoolers' don't even exhibit that 'schooling'/shoaling behavior in large groups if there is no threat around.

If you go with at least 3 schooling fish, itll be all good!

I feel that the bigger the school, the better. I think when fish are in schools of 5+ they show their true beauty. They won't be as stressed and they will thrive if given a few more of their own kind, in a good sized aquarium.

If you go with at least 3 schooling fish, itll be all good!

I'm sorry, I must respectfully disagree with this. Corys are good in groups of 3, but schooling fish, in my opinion should have as many as possible, but at least 6.

I agree with Samzter, I keep a school of 21 Rummy nose and 12 Diamond Tetra's. You should see the school of Rummy nose actually schooling and moving as one big fluid group around the aquarium. The Diamonds tend to stay fairly tight also and have actually considered adding a few more to make a sizeable school. And with larger schools most things won't bother them, like loaches playing games through them or even angels spawning. If they feel threatened they move, as a unit and it is truely a sight to behold.

Rivercats said:
I agree with Samzter, I keep a school of 21 Rummy nose and 12 Diamond Tetra's. You should see the school of Rummy nose actually schooling and moving as one big fluid group around the aquarium. The Diamonds tend to stay fairly tight also and have actually considered adding a few more to make a sizeable school. And with larger schools most things won't bother them, like loaches playing games through them or even angels spawning. If they feel threatened they move, as a unit and it is truely a sight to behold.

Kind of like a swordfish going through a school of sardines.

Back
Top Bottom