Dojo and Molly in love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uhlfam2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted this under breeding section because my dojo is acting very strange. He/she? keeps swimming right next to my male molly and annoying him. He's not fin nipping or biting, just swimming like he's trying to mate. Do I need to give him a lesson on inter-species relationships? :roll: Anyone even seen this behavior b4?

Loaches like to have friends I think. They like to school with their own but maybe when they can't they'll try to with other fish.
I hope you know all your tanks are way overstocked, especially the 29 gal. ONE adult oscar needs a 75 gal tank to move around comfortably. Plus they are messy and require more maintenance, space, and food than most fish.
General rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon in case you didn't know. Of course you can't use this for every fish but it's something to go by.

We are almost ready to take the Oscars to a lfs to trade in and start a Cichlid tank. I've had all tanks roughly at these levels and no one seems to mind. I have read about the room Oscars need but we do water changes very frequently and maintain the pH in the tank and my Oscars are in perfect health(They eat tons!). To each his own I guess. Which tank was overstocked? The betta tank? I must need 55 gal for them?

I said ALL the tanks are overstocked. The oscars will not do well in that small of a tank in the long run. You can leave the convict but the oscars really should have a MUCH bigger tank.
The 29 gal IS mainly a cichlid tank right now. Oscars and convicts are cichlids.

Well aren't you the expert? I will do what I want with my fish tank thank you very much. I asked for advice not your expert opinion on how my tanks are doing. I know Oscars and Convicts are both cichlids which is one of the reasons they can be stocked together. I might be a newbie on this message board but I have had fish for a while and don't appreciate being talked down to. I will ask for advice in the future but would appreciate it if you didn't respond.

I am afraid I must agree with RoK here....all your tanks are very overstocked (two adult oscars should be in nothing short of 80 gallons...and that does not account for tankmates).

I am sorry that RoK came across as condescending, but he obviously thought you a novice, and to be fair, you came across that way. Now there is no need for this to become rude, so please agree to disagree, shake hands and play nicely.

I agree that all the tanks are overstocked, execept maybe the shrimp tank. Judging from the way the other tanks are stocked, even though you list no size for the betta tank, I bet its too small as well.

I'm sure the reason RoK sounded the way he did was out of frustration with what he thought was a fairly new fish keeper making all the typical newbie mistakes.
To be quite honest, looking at your tank lists, I'm not so certain you aren't still a novice.

Now please keep it civil and stop reporting members for dishing out advice you don't want to hear.

I believe the overstocking issue goes hand in hand with the issue you originally posted about regarding the loach and the molly. The tank is too small for the number of fish to behave normally.

I didn't know there would be so much grief over this. It is an Advice forum isn't it? I apologize if you folks think I am a little overboard, I just didn't appreciate the condescension, but in his defense he had no idea how long I had fish. Toirtis your right, no need to be rude. Also if I didn't want the attention to my tanks I shouldn't have listed my fish.

P.S. - I didn't realize what the report thing was until it was too late. I thought it would bring me to another page to fill out. That's what being a AqAd.com newbie is all about. :oops:

Did I fail to mention my Oscars are not fully grown? I've only had them for a few months. They are only about 5 inches long. I'm guessing everyone assumed they were full grown?

I expected that they were a typical 'adult' (8"-12" instead of the 16" they should be when mature)...I did not think that they would be under 5", although they will not still be in 6 weeks or so.

Hi, Uhlfam--welcome to AA!

Excuse me for being a little off-topic here, but I'm curious about your signature line. Where did you hear this about Walmart, and could you post a link for me to the information? I'd like to read more about this.

Thanks in advance.

I heard it from an employee from Petsmart whose mother works in fish dept at Walmart. I'm sure it's something Walmart doesnt want out there, but I'd rather let the truth be out there. :mrgreen:

For tortise: I know I will have to take them to the lfs soon. When the Oscars leave I am going to get some more S. American cichlids(Jack Dempsey, more convicts, etc.) who won't be so dirty.

Frankly, it sounds fishy to me. I'm sure the orders go through breeders or suppliers, so how would someone at Walmart possibly know they are getting fish Petsmart sent back? I know it's very chic to blast Walmart these days, but I wouldn't have something like that up on my signature unless I had proof that it was true.

malkore said:
I'm sure the reason RoK sounded the way he did was out of frustration with what he thought was a fairly new fish keeper making all the typical newbie mistakes.
Well, actually I wasn't assuming he was a newbie. I was just trying to make everything I said be clear. I was just trying to inform.
I'm sorry uhlfam, I did not mean to sound condescending.

Thanks for posting that, TankGirl. It's pretty sobering. These boards feel so much like casual conversation that it's easy to forget they are public, and words can come back to bite you.

It's a good reminder for all of us, I think.

I believe this suit was dropped, but that was an individual with somewhat limited resources, unlike a giant corp like Walmart and Petsmart.

Gosh I guess I need to clarify. This was third party information. If I had some insider information you could put it in the bank but I work for neither company and this was only information passed to me from a worker. Walmart doesnt know they are from pet-smartcos the employee there put two and two together. You guys gotta loosen up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom