drift wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some boil it, some just soak it in hot water, draining the water out and refilling, some just soak, again changing the water. The reason for this is two-fold. 1- to release and remove the tannins in the wood, and 2- to waterlogg the wood so it will sink. What kind of dw do you have?

Crawdaddy said:
Some boil it, some just soak it in hot water, draining the water out and refilling, some just soak, again changing the water. The reason for this is two-fold. 1- to release and remove the tannins in the wood, and 2- to waterlogg the wood so it will sink. What kind of dw do you have?

I dont think its salt water they are small pieces i believe from streams unfortunately i cant ask the person due to the fact he passed away a few months ago and we are clearing out the house found pieces all over

ForumRunner_20120922_193651.jpg

Article was very helpful the rock i got i believe is not on the bad list but it does seem to have iron pyrite "fools gold" speckled through out it so idk bout that as for the dw is there a way to test for salinity or what kindve wood it is and it has been sitting for a very long time out of water

Crawdaddy said:
If your worried about salinity, I would soak it, changing the water daily.

Thank you i will do that after boiling for a few hours i chose 3 of the pieces for now once i get a bigger tank ill use the rest

I boiled my 3 pieces for four hrs then put them in a tote with hot water to start water logging them but one went straight down what does that mean anybody know my first time doing this

vance1013 said:
I boiled my 3 pieces for four hrs then put them in a tote with hot water to start water logging them but one went straight down what does that mean anybody know my first time doing this

That a, it's either waterlogged from the boiling, or really dense wood. It should be ok. Did you notice any dark coloring to the water when boiling, or during the soaking?

Crawdaddy said:
That a, it's either waterlogged from the boiling, or really dense wood. It should be ok. Did you notice any dark coloring to the water when boiling, or during the soaking?

Yah during the boiling the water did turn brown during boiling also i had to top off the water a couple times

That was the tannins. If you don't get them all out, o big deal, it will turn your aquarium water a little brown, and lower your ph some, but water changes will take care of it.

Crawdaddy said:
That was the tannins. If you don't get them all out, o big deal, it will turn your aquarium water a little brown, and lower your ph some, but water changes will take care of it.

Ok good to know im doing a reboil for about hour maybe two changing the water after one hour

Back
Top Bottom