Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickb144

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Can anyone advise please. I just got my new 110 litre tank up and running. Have already transferred my catfish from my old tank and the time has now come to gradually add new fish. Gonna get some neon tetra, guppies and few barbs for now but i would like to get a couple of Dwarf Gourami too. I never kept these before so have been trying to do some research. Have read that keeping 2 males together can result in them fighting with each other. Is this true ? Would it be best to keep a couple of female instead. Don't want to get a breeding pair. Also do the male fish make their bubble nest if no female are present in tank. Sorry for silly question but would just to know. Thanks Nick

I'm still kind of new, but I have two male dwarf gouramis. You can't find females around My location. I've had them for 6 months or so. I first started them out in a 15g tank. They fought all of the time, but it never resulted in any injuries. Just running into each other and fin slapping. When I got my 55g tank up and running I moved both of them into it. Now they have no problems at all. In fact they sometimes hang out with each other like they are friends. I guess I'm just dumb, because I can't picture a 110 L tank, so you tell me what size that would be. As far as bubble nests, I have read and been told that they will build them, but mine haven't.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry i still live with litres ! Think 110 works out just under 30gallon. I must start using gallons. Everyone else seems too. They look lovely fish to keep especially the males from what i hear.

I actually had two dwarf's and one of them was so aggressive that I had to returned him. He would bite and chase my other male dwarf consistently. During feeding time, he wouldn't let other fish eat. He would bite any fish that would get close to him, even the catfish! I decided to take him out when I noticed other fish fins had tiny holes from him biting them. I have read that is rare to have aggressive dwarf's, but if you give them plenty of space to swim around they should be okay. BTW, I have a 15 gallon tank. Also, they are beautiful fish so just keep an eye out and monitor them whenever possible, especially during feeding.

Thanks luis_j. Will pop down my local aquatic shop on Sunday. Check out the ones he got. Thanks for your advice. Nick

I just remembered something. First I had one neon blue (has pretty red stripes over bright blue) and then added a powder blue and a neon green (again red stripes over green) the green was so aggressive I took him back the first day. I still have the two types of blue. IMO in a 30g two would be fine, but once you get the right two. Don't be afraid to ask your LFS if you can exchange them if they don't mesh well. Also, try to add them at the same time, someone here mentioned that it would cut down aggression because one wouldn't have established its territory before the other.

I started with 3 in a 20 gallon and lots of agression, especially the 2 dominant over a submissive. Changed to a 55 gallon and only transferred the 2 dominant ones. In the 55 gallon they show some agression, but nothing major since they both have their space. Unfortunately in the 20 gallon the submissive (alone with a Few mystery snails) is still in hiding even though he is alone. Every one is different just keep an eye on the siruation, feeding time is a key.

Hey thanks to you both for your advice. Sounds like the more space they have the better. Would love a 55gallon tank but would have to do some major surgery to our living room. Think i would end up in the tank with the fish if i did that!! Hopefully my 30 gallon tank should give them the bit of space they need after all i will be getting them from a much smaller tank from my LFS so they should appreciate that. Will keep an eye on them like you say. Those neon ones look beautiful. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom