Dwarf puffer community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snailpufferguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I love dwarf puffers but my only draw back is the fact that they are so called fin nippers. I would really like to have them in a community tank; right now I have 2 tanks a 10 gallon and a 60 gallon. They are not filled to maximum capacity of fish in fact the 60 gallon is empty in my 10 gallon I have one average platy and one electric blue jack dempsy no I know he shouldn't be in there but he's gonna be moved to my 60 gallon. Now future fish will probably include coolie loaches, the classic angel, Cory cats, different tetras, and probably some different shrimp. And I know how shrimp and puffers can be so that depends but what do you guys think will it work is there any possible way for a community tank with them thanks and have a good day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've kept dwarf puffers in the past and personally wouldn't keep them in a community tank, wouldn't want to take the risk. Some people do successfully keep them with shrimp knowing that shrimplets will most likely get eaten.

All the other fish you mentioned with the exception of the JD would make a great community in the 60g. That would leave the 10g for puffers. Usually recommendation is 5g per fish but with enough hiding places you might be able to get away with 3 or 4. But of course you have the JD...which would mean building the 60g around him/her instead of the community setup.

So what tank do you want to put the puffs in? The 10 would be perfect for a small group, maybe 2 or 3. I have 2 in my 5.5 and they get along just fine, with the occasional territorial dispute. I also keep them with a lot of RCS, but like Theresa said I don't expect to see lots of shrimplets. They do leave the adult and juvenile shrimp alone though. There's 1 Amano shrimp in there as well and she's 2 times the size of the puffs so she gets left alone of course :lol: I wouldn't dare add any other fish to the tank, even in a 10 gallon, let alone a 5.5 The only fish that they always get along with and many have reported successful with are oto cats. They stay small and eat lots of algae. For some reason the puffs leave them alone. Maybe because of their dull colors and they don't move a lot?

DP's really do appreciate a planted tank. My 5.5 is very heavily planted, and they are constantly exploring and checking things out. One way to know if the puffs are bored is if they are "glass surfing". This is when they swim up and down or against the glass. My puffs do this whenever I enter the room because they are begging for food of course lol. They are highly inquisitive fish, very intelligent and very interactive as well. They peck at my hand during maintenance, beg for food, and know the difference between me and my siblings, mom and dad, probably because they know that I give them food, which brings me to the next subject of discussion :D

Dwarf puffers are listed as an intermediate fish for a reason. For me, that main reason is feeding. Most will need live food at some point. Some will accept frozen food that is waved in front of them for a while. Never, ever ever ever have I seen a puff accept flake or pellet food and I don't think I ever will. You can keep all kinds of live food cultures for them, like black worms (what I have right now), pest snails that grow and reproduce quickly, like pond, ramshorn and MTS snails, shrimp (RCS shrimplets) this may not be the best option because I would rather have shrimp in the tank to enjoy, and they cost money, which means you can make money off your live food :lol:

My blackworm culture is really simple. Just a small plastic container (just a small tupperware tub) and some plastic mesh for them to hold onto. Got a big sheet of the mesh at hobby lobby for 99 cents. Add your worms and just change the water every couple days. Don’t feed or nothing. Works perfectly for me.

Overall, they’re great fish. Pretty easy to keep IMO. Only the feeding is a problem. If you’re willing to go the extra mile for that, go ahead and try them!

Alright I might try just one in a three gallon is that possible?

Ya everything is there so I guess I just gotta go get some plants and I might try a little aquascape I'll see how that goes thanks you were a great help

And you too Nils thanks

Yep, no problem.

Even though a puff would be doable in a 3, I wouldn't. With substrate, plants and other stuff it will come out to about 2.5 gallons. Why not just use the 10? Easier for you in a lot o ways.

That JD is the odd one out on this mix. I've heard electric blue are more docile but they are still a very aggressive fish in general. It would terrorize all the fish you listed. It needs to be in a tank with other cichlids that can manage the aggression.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom