Effects of Possible Stunted Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Netti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had an eye-less Pleco for almost or a little more than a year now and he hasn't grown any past 5-6 inches. I know their potential size... and honestly I'm glad he didn't reach it and it looks like he wont... because my tank only holds 16 gallons. I was supposed to get a 55-gallon MONTHS ago but money was really tight and still is but hey it'll come. He's perfectly fine, besides him not growing. He eats well.. poops extremely well (or is that something that's "well"), and cleans that tank like no other (before i bought him my tank was filthy, bought him one day, went to sleep, woke up the whole tank was sparkling). I'm just wondering if this harms him much, him not being able to grow or if he's simply deformed because he also doesn't have eyes, and when I finally do receive a financial blessing and am able to get a 55 gallon tank, will he begin to grown again?
I don't think he isn't healthy; he's very active, has a favorite spot in the tank, no matter where i drop his algae wafers he puts them all in one place, he's pretty much called it home.

Are you sure he's a Common Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus)? He could be a different species (e.g. Rubber Pleco) that doesn't grow as large. Just a thought. If you are convinced it is a Common Plec, even eyeless I suspect he will grow more when moved to the larger tank. He'll probably keep growing in the 16 gallon, just more slowly. They can live 20 years, so they can afford to grow slowly!

Here he is. Sorry if the pics seem fuzzy. I threw in the Platies just to do it. :wink:
two.jpg

three.jpg

If you need more just let me know.

Netti,

I recommend you look through the plecos in this link: http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/

They are arranged in the Left-hand column by Family, then Genus. The family is "Loricariidae", the genus is almost certainly "Hypostomus." The picture is good, but detail is a little hard for us to determine. Click on each of the "Hypostomus _____" links and check out the pictures. You're bound to find out which species your guy belongs to.

From a brief look, I think it's possible that you have a Hypostomus punctatus, but I think these generally are a little lighter, with dark spots.

Let us know what you find out.

HTH

Oh, and yes... small tanks will stunt the growth of a fish. I don't know the mechanism, but some have said that it has to do with the concentration of hormones in the water. Which sounds like a fairly believable theory...

Back
Top Bottom