epoxy gravel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kiki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone here used gravel coated with epoxy? My Panda's barbel gets shorter each day. I went to the store looking for marbel because I figure those are as smooth as you can get. But to get enough for 10g tank, it would cost a lot of money. However, the store sell gravel made by Marina looks shiny and smoother than other gravel. The staff there said the gravel is coated with epoxy. If you have use these gravel, what is your experience? I am reluctant to use sand from home depot because I think it will make a lot of mess.

Thanks

I just bought gravel from Petsmart that said it was coated with epoxy, so I would hazard a guess that it would be fine. Two tests you could do is the vinegar test, to make sure the rock doesn't bubble (it won't, because it's coated) and the toxicity test, which involves putting the gravel in a QT tank for a week or so and then putting in a few "test" fish, like feeders, to see their reaction. I'm 90% sure it will be fine though.

However, your lfs should have smoother pebbles. If you want sand in your tank, but don't want to use Home Depot sand (you're right, it is messy), and you have a small tank, then I would recommend buying aquarium sand from your lfs. Expect to pay $17-$20 for 30#. I used Home Depot sand for my 30 gal. and aquarium sand for my 10 gal. The sand from the lfs was far easier to clean--almost as easy as rinsing gravel. That was the only real difference though, so if you want to spend a bit of extra time you can save a bit of money. Usually though, SW enthusiasts use the Home Depot stuff because they need a hundred pounds or so for deep sand beds.

I had a cory that had the same problem but the damage became necrotic and the flesh around his mouth started dying and I had to put him down. If you do decide to go with mables, the lfs is going to be expensive. Try discount and dollar stores. Or bid on a lot on ebay. :)

I have CongaRoc gravel in a couple of my tanks and my cories have never had any problems with it. It is non-toxic and is not coated with epoxy. It didn't even cloud the water when I first put it in the tanks. Its mostly smooth, I've never noticed any real sharp or jagged pieces.

You can buy those colored glass marbles in craft stores or the craft section at walmart too.

The majority of standard aquarium gravel is epoxy coated, especially any of the colored gravels. The epoxy is pefectly safe and helps keep any minerals that may be in the gravel from leaching into the water.

Back
Top Bottom