fast-cycle liquid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalzrok2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i was at petco today buying a marino ball for my shrimp tank and i saw a small bottle of liquid that is supposed to speed up cycling to 5 days. has anyone used it or something like it?

ok thanks i won't use it but just wondering, what would happen if you added it?

animalzrok2 said:
ok thanks i won't use it but just wondering, what would happen if you added it?

Depending on the brand (and a TON of other factors)...they can help, they can do nothing or they can be detrimental to your aquarium.

What I linked before is a long thread...but you should really read over it...it covers everything on both sides of the debate.

Depending on the brand (and a TON of other factors)...they can help, they can do nothing or they can be detrimental to your aquarium.

What I linked before is a long thread...but you should really read over it...it covers everything on both sides of the debate.

Oh boy ... this is a can of worms!! .... LOL. The link eco23 provided was a VERY .... umm ... spirited discussion on bacteria in a bottle. You can go one of three ways as eco said so good luck!

PERSONALLY? I'd say let nature provide it for free ... then there's no worries.

there is one brand that's supposed to be independent lab verified to completely cycle in a couple of days... I can't find the link-I have it on my other comp, but i've never heard of anyone actually using it nor having those kind of results.

kurtyboh said:
there is one brand that's supposed to be independent lab verified to completely cycle in a couple of days... I can't find the link-I have it on my other comp, but i've never heard of anyone actually using it nor having those kind of results.

I think it's called bio-spira

I used bio and it worked great for me. I had to cycle a tank and dident have weeks.

It took me 4 days befor my readings came out perfect. I have had the tank for 7 months now and no issues at all.

Bio-Spira is now Tetra SafeStart (after some tweaks), and they're developed by the same guy who makes Dr. Tim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria. Those are the only brands I would even consider letting within a mile radius of my tanks...and even then I don't simply put blind faith in a product since factors like viability are involved.

I have used lived rhodospirillum cultured in a laboratory before (that stuff works). I've also used American Pond's Bacteria powder...The stuff costs about 50 bucks per jar and well...it works. Not all of these products are gimmicks but the ones that aren't costing you an arm and leg are.

jetajockey said:
fritz zyme has some good science behind it (biocon labs) but I've only tested it briefly and don't plan to invest in any future testing just for kicks.

I'm a big fan of their write ups (I site them often)...it just seems like they might be missing the nitrobacter vs nitrospira issue (which I still see debates about...but I've definitely leaned towards the latter). The more I learn, the more I do believe a lot of these companies are on the right track...but if there are fundamental flaws as big containing the entirely wrong strains of bacteria...it's like designing orbiting satellites while still believing the earth is flat...it's destined to fail (or at least be minimally effective). Finding a way to actually package the correct types of bacteria in a viable, sustainable form is the challenge IMO...but I think they're getting closer.

I can't link it from my iPad...but there's a YouTube video with Dr. Tim and the "Mr Saltwater" guy about his products. It's called "Bottled bacteria...snake oil?" or something similar. It's definitely worth a watch.

kurtyboh said:

Yep, that's it :).

One thing I found very interesting is when he says he has patents on the actual correct strains of bacteria. If that's true...that's a very limiting factor for other companies (unless I'm missing some type of understanding on the patent process).

I think a large part of this debate rests on what you truly consider a "cycled" tank. To me, it's a self-sustaining population of the correct strains of nitrifying bacteria which are found in home aquaria which are capable of converting the bio-load of your tank through the nitrogen cycle (technically not all the way through...but that's not important).

Now, I think it's hard to debate that many products out there (ex. Sechem Stability) are capable of causing conversion, albeit it on a short term scale. So independent lab tests don't necessarily mean much to me unless the criteria of "cycled" is truly defined. If I add what amounts to a "substitute" bacteria into my tank every week which constantly and efficiently converts ammonia and nitrIte, but in a limited time frame...is that a cycled tank? Not in my definition.

Of course this opens the whole new debate of competition between the bacterias...as well as the marketing aspect of whether the company truly has the aquariasts best interests in mind...or if it really is a mirage in a sense where the products appear to work...yet are not in any way a long term solution to establish a stable, sustainable bio-filter.

In short...if you give one a try...do your research, choose one which actually contains the correct types of nitrifying bacteria...and don't simply have blind faith. Add fish slowly and responsibly, monitor parameters constantly and be prepared for the worst case scenario. Nothing is fail proof even in the rare case the science actually is correct.

Last edited:
Oh man, not this again, hahaha! This is pretty much a daily discussion and often times leads to some interesting and entertaining threads. Here's one to read over which will cover everything you'll ever need to know...and more :)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/seachem-stability-168704.html

^Oh my, that is the funniest thread I have seen on AA so far. Anyway, I'm not going to make any blatant statements without doing my own research first :p Without scientific research, it's hard to make conclusive statements.

Personally, with the doubt surrounding these products, I would rather cycle naturally. I'm sure some of them are based on sound science, but without testing them all in a controlled environment, you are taking a risk. So if you have the time and patience to test or research individual products, go ahead.

--Adeeb

kurtyboh said:
he cant patent the bacteria itself but their process for collecting/maintaining they could.

Good point. Apparently he's got something going though for Tetra to drop some serious $ for Bio-Spira. I'm sure they've got plenty of money to throw into their own R&D. I know they've supposedly made advances in the shelf life of the product...but I'd assume if it was as simple as culturing the correct strains and applying their own advances...they wouldn't need to buy out the product (unless it was to limit competition I suppose).

*And yeah, I told you that thread was a fun read, lol. It has officially been locked and the last words on that particular thread have been stated. I'm sure there'll be another one tomorrow though :D

Good point. Apparently he's got something going though for Tetra to drop some serious $ for Bio-Spira. I'm sure they've got plenty of money to throw into their own R&D. I know they've supposedly made advances in the shelf life of the product...but I'd assume if it was as simple as culturing the correct strains and applying their own advances...they wouldn't need to buy out the product (unless it was to limit competition I suppose).

*And yeah, I told you that thread was a fun read, lol. It has officially been locked and the last words on that particular thread have been stated. I'm sure there'll be another one tomorrow though :D

You can patent bacteria. They do it all the time in the scientific field...If you develop a new strain of something you can patent it.

Back
Top Bottom