Filter changing dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snuffleupagus

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've been running this filter that came with a starter kit for a few months, and the filtering pad is starting to look pretty ragged. Eventually rinsing it out isn't going to cut it and I'm going to have to replace the media, which is normal. The problem it, this chintzy filter doesn't have separate bio-media and filter-media -- the two are combined. So I'm worried about a nitrogen spike if I try to put in a new pad. Is my only option to buy a better filter and run it concurrently with this one leading up to a switch? Surely the designers must have anticipated the consequences of changing the filter...

I would not worry about a NO2 or Ammonia spike from changing the filter. The gravel in your tank has a lot of the bacteria in it as well does the walls to your filter.

But yea pending the size of this tank, I would say go with rick311k's suggestion and get a new filter such an Aqua or Whisper. Both are quality equipment. I've not seen anything saying yes or no on bio wheels. Most of the people I know with them love them. But they tend o be a little more pricey. I run whisper filters in all my tanks and love them.

But no, a change of media should not be too bad. People change them all the time without to much problem. I prefer filters that have a separate bio media such as the "Bio Foam" and its equivalent in the Aqua line of filters. I suggest you look into that before you buy a filter.

Just a thought: You could always just place the new filter pad directly in the tank for about a week before taking out the old one and putting the new one in the filter. That way, it should get some bacteria living in it before it is installed in the filter.

Thank you for all of your clarifications and advice. I probably will look into getting a little bit better of a filter, though in the meantime it's nice to have it confirmed that the rest of the stuff in my tank will probably carry sufficient bacteria. As was suggested, I may also try either cramming the new filter in with the old one, or sticking it in the tank somewhere. Even though it wouldn't have quite as much oxygen supplied to it that way, it would probably be sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom