Filtration question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrDaytona

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a very large tank with an under gravel filter that takes the water thru the gravel - thru the bottom of the tank thru the pump & filter and then returns the filtered water up thru tower and into the top of the tank.
I also have an overflow tower that draws water form the top of the spillway and it is gravity fed into the wet/dry filter and then pumped back thru the tower and into the top of the tank.
My question is: Would the filtration be any better if the return from the wet/dry were fed into the bottom of the tank thus creating a flow from the bottom to the top? I realize that I would need a check valve on the return line so as not to have the entire tank siphon when the filter is off.
What I am attempting to achieve is a more thoroughly filtered tank.
Any response would be appreciated, Thanks.

How big of a tank, how many and what kind of fish and do you have any plants?

I'm not a fan of an undergravel filter. You have to disassemble the whole tank to clean underneath.

MrDaytona said:
I have a very large tank with an under gravel filter that takes the water thru the gravel - thru the bottom of the tank thru the pump & filter and then returns the filtered water up thru tower and into the top of the tank.
I also have an overflow tower that draws water form the top of the spillway and it is gravity fed into the wet/dry filter and then pumped back thru the tower and into the top of the tank.
My question is: Would the filtration be any better if the return from the wet/dry were fed into the bottom of the tank thus creating a flow from the bottom to the top? I realize that I would need a check valve on the return line so as not to have the entire tank siphon when the filter is off.
What I am attempting to achieve is a more thoroughly filtered tank.
Any response would be appreciated, Thanks.

Yes, I've ran reverse flow under gravels on a couple of tanks and love them. No mess and cleaner gravel, how can you go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom