Fish that should NOT be sold... or at least should come with a legal disclaimer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So its the distributors and suppliers fault that consumers are ignorant?

It's a vey sad world we live now, the basic behavior of most individuals is they don't accept responsibility for their own actions or choices...they must place blame on everyone but themselves.

My lfs had two common plecos, each about 15", in what is probably a 30 gallon, and it used to have a huge Oscar in there too but he gets his own 20 something now -.-
They also stuff goldfish in tanks like crazy. There's dead ones in there all over the place.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120714_220137.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120714_220137.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 115
jetajockey said:
So its the distributors and suppliers fault that consumers are ignorant?

Im not saying it's their fault, I'm saying they contribute to the cycle of ignorance. They know the fish they breed more often then not go into unsuitable homes. Yes most consumers are ignorant and more often then not it's either an impulse buy or someone they knew knew someone who did it and it was fine. It's too bad the world runs on supply and demand. It's just too bad there are no regulations in place that require pet shops to follow specific guidelines when selling fish that can grow to lengths that surpass the average home aquarium. Especially if certain species can become invasive.

The one fish I see here in Canada where I live that people cant handle are bala sharks, oscars and koi's. Ive seen numerous adds for 55 gallon tanks with 4 koi or 4 bala sharks with a common pleco for sale. And I believe just recently a snakehead was found in a British Columbia duck pond. That's one fish that should be banned internationally from trade and sale.

Perhaps add bettas in their little bowls? I wanted to cry today. I saw all those betas and they were just eyeing me back.. so sad..

Chronos313 said:
And I believe just recently a snakehead was found in a British Columbia duck pond. That's one fish that should be banned internationally from trade and sale.
+1
Ya it was a Northern snakehead it made the national news and they partially drained the pond to catch it. I agree on an international ban for that one.

Wow I really got this thing started again ;). Hah to add I went to my LFS and they had 7 oscars in about a 3-5 gallon tank. They could barely move!

Wow. Was just at my LFS and they were selling silver dollars, parrot fish, jack dempesys, tin foil barbs, and they were ALL rated for 29 gallons!!!

I think every fish should be sold while informing the owner of a proper minimum tank size. I noticed that the fact tags by the fish at Petsmart have actually been updated to reflect more reasonable minimum tank sizes.

Laser said:
I think every fish should be sold while informing the owner of a proper minimum tank size. I noticed that the fact tags by the fish at Petsmart have actually been updated to reflect more reasonable minimum tank sizes.

True. Saw that today! I applaud them for it.

When my dad was a kid he kept an Oscar, 2 Bala Sharks, and a few African Cichlids in a 20 gallon.......

Add Elephant Nose fish and Baby Whales. VERY hard to feed and keep alive.
EN must be kept in a group of 5+ they hunt in packs.
Mine starved to death.
Very upset

Here is what ive been told is a pike cichlid at my lfs jacks pets! Its huge!

Attachments

• image-2595376070.jpg
    image-2595376070.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 102
It's a vey sad world we live now, the basic behavior of most individuals is they don't accept responsibility for their own actions or choices...they must place blame on everyone but themselves.

Great quote, and sadly way too true.

There is another issue here. Ego-induced ignorance. Hobbyists who outright deny that they are being irresponsible by placing a fish that would reach 2', 3' or even 4' in the wild into a 4' or 6' tank. No amount of education can deter the ego, the thrill of owning a monster "status symbol" and having other hobbyists say, "That's an awesome fish," that accompanies having one of these species.

There is an entire subculture in this hobby that sees nothing wrong with aros, large knifefish, the various species of monster catfish, pacu, stingrays, etc. being housed in inappropriate tanks. A six-foot tank is NOT adequate to house these species. A 180 or 220 gallon tank does NOT make it okay to keep these species. Having a tank that size is merely an excuse to deny responsibility using the defense that it is sanctioned by other hobbyists, who do it as well.

WYite

I don't think any should be banned completely but I think that you should have to prove you have the means to keep them properly before they are sold to you.

Jason7894561230 said:
I thought of 2 fish that need disclaimers
- Black Ghost Knife fish can get to 20"
- Kissing Gouramis can get to 11" and people put them into a small 20 gal
Just my additions :D

I did not know that about kissing gouramis. I had previously thought a 5-6 inch gourami was big and near full size.

Too bad trade names include size hints in their names. People think a little harder about buying "magnum kissing gouramis" or "sneaker clown loaches" (because they will grow as long as a sneaker shoe in your tank).

I saw on line for sale arapaimas. At least the name is arapaima gigas as in gigantic. The information said minimum of 1000 gallon tank. Even that seems too small if you ever watch River Monsters with Jeremy Wade. The site said expert only and the price will hopefully as well keep it out of the hands of fools.

Hhhmmm I feel like i partially agree with you, people who buy these fish should be completely notified on there size and needs, but not illegal to sell. Alot of people do know how to properly care for these fish. that would stink if all the big fish of the hobby were all of the sudden gone.

Off topic on the size issue, but I'm suprised it wasn't mentioned and should be included in a fish not to buy section. Any of the tattoo fish. I know its been done to death but should at least be mentioned in a thread about fish that should not be sold.

It may have been mentioned already, but some other members of the Pimelodidae family (which also includes the Red Tail) are too large to be comfortably housed in common setups.

Leiarius pictus (~24 inches)
Leiarius marmoratus (~30 inches)
Various Shovelnose cats

While these cats may not be extremely common in fish shops, I have at one time or another in my life seen these offered for sale as very small juveniles with no mention of their potential size. I've known several people who get Shovelnose cats for their 55g, and were never informed of their potential size.

Lastly, while I feel that knowing the fish you're purchasing is largely the responsibility of the buyer, some blame lies with the seller. When I see someone buy a Red Tailed Cat, and the seller not even mention what kind of fish it is... it reminds me that an LFS is still a business and that they are there to make money. When I've sold some of my fish to other hobbyists in the past, I always make sure they know what they're getting into, and if they have the proper setup for it.

Back
Top Bottom