Floating plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superpeytonm

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, everyone! It's been a long time since I've posted on this forum, although my activity in the hobby hasn't dwindled a bit. I still have my 75 gallon, and the only thing that's changed since I last posted is more fry from the multies in the 10 gallon.

But now I'm looking to change things up. I tried floating plants once in my 75g, but unfortunately they were all eaten within a day or so.

My questions are: do you think floating plants would work for an N. multifasciatus tank? If so, are there any that would work with a HOB filter? If not, is there a way to fix the issue so I can have some floating plants?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

I was thinking of getting a floating ring (like at a pool shop) and growing duckweed or something like that inside it. Was thinking this would stop the plants being pushed around by the filter flow.

Never got around to it as the fish ate the centres out of the floating plants before I could try it. Was cheap to try the floating plants though - they were practically giving it away to get rid of it.

I used the middle part of a clear 2 liter bottle. Just cut about a 1" ring right out of the large diameter portion (basically the middle, make sure to remove the glue if you do this!!!). Then used another part to make a little hook, super glued them together and not I have a circle of duckweed that works with my HOB filter. and it attaches right to the side of the tank using the hook (just hang it off the rim). This is the cheapest version of this method. You could make it out of cell cast acrylic and it would be virtually see-through... I don't have the wallet to back that setup so I just stick with cheap and simple and it works for me!

I used the middle part of a clear 2 liter bottle. Just cut about a 1" ring right out of the large diameter portion (basically the middle, make sure to remove the glue if you do this!!!). Then used another part to make a little hook, super glued them together and not I have a circle of duckweed that works with my HOB filter. and it attaches right to the side of the tank using the hook (just hang it off the rim). This is the cheapest version of this method. You could make it out of cell cast acrylic and it would be virtually see-through... I don't have the wallet to back that setup so I just stick with cheap and simple and it works for me!
I may have to try that.

Back
Top Bottom