Found snails today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debomb4u

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went down to my local creek and found some regular snails. I decided to grab some and put them in my aquarium. I havn't put them in yet. I have them in a glass jar and every 20 mins or so i dump out the water and put in new. I'm going to keep doing this untill late tonight... that way there clean and hopefully i wont get any disease or contaminents inside my tank.

I know that just about everyone on here hates snails because one or two will turn into 10 or 20 very quickly.... but i guess that will be my fault if that happens. And i dont really care if they eat a little bit of my plants because i have 5 growing so far and my lily bulbs were all duds so i sent them back to the company and i will be getting new ones shortly. I guess i'm just looking for new companions in my tank.

I know this isn't the planted forum but hopefully some of you will be able to answer this so i dont have to start a new post. I know that aponogeton sprout blooms and in that bloom there is seeds but i was wondering if i can just cut off a huge leaf and see if it grows or is Aponogeton not that kind of a plant?

debomb4u said:
I went down to my local creek and found some regular snails. I decided to grab some and put them in my aquarium.

They may not adapt well to the warmer, non-flowing water of your aquarium.

I have them in a glass jar and every 20 mins or so i dump out the water and put in new. I'm going to keep doing this untill late tonight... that way there clean and hopefully i wont get any disease or contaminents inside my tank.

For all the good that is going to do, you might as well just put them in right away....if you want to actually quarantine, you need to be doing so for 4+ weeks.

And i dont really care if they eat a little bit of my plants because i have 5 growing so far

Depending on the type of snails you have, they could mow your plants down pretty badly in the course of a week.

I actually like having snails in some of my tanks although they have sometimes damaged my plants. I consider the snails part of the clean up crew just like corys and other bottom feeders. They can also help keep algae growth under control and act as food for my South American puffer. Malayan trumpet snails in particular are good for stirring up the substrate (as greenmagi mentions above) and reducing the growth of anaerobic bacteria.

On the downside, if you have too many of them they can jam up your filter (I've had them cause my BIO-Wheels to stop turning). And you have to remove snail shells from the bottom of the tank every once in a while. If you let the shells accumulate, either accidentally or on purpose, this can alter the pH of your tank with harmful consequences.

I went to my lfs today and bought a huge bunch of anacharis for 1.79! I can tell that it has baby snails in it too. In random spots in my tank it looks like theres egg clusters. Little translucent balls with white dots inside. If they are snails i'll most likely take the clusters and put them in a 1 gal jar to live and put in a plant or some alge from a local pond or something. From what i see theres too but a few also in the Anacharis. I also saw the coolest thing..... live plants in clear box packages but there growing with gel for the soil. There was alot of different varieties.

I also did my first gravel vac last night and only managed to up root 1 plant. I wont do them all that often though maybe 3 times a year or so because i will have 5 aponogeton plants 5 lilys ( once i get my replacements) and how ever many anarchis there is in the bunch. So my tank will be heavily planted and they will use the excess gunk as nutrients.

Nope but i like the snails and if theres to many i will just pick them out.... since my tank isnt very big i can easily see them and get them if need be.

I'm with you debomb, I LOVE those little snails. :D I just wish mine would reproduce more in my 29 gal tank. I never see them. It's pretty cool to wake up in the morning and turn on the tank light and see a couple little babies on the glass.

I dont get what you mean krap101....

Again i know this isnt the planted forum but approximently how long does it take for anacharis to sprout roots? And is it ok to plant it right now without roots? Since i dont like having a huge bunch in my tank that is taking up space and i'm just anxious to plant it. And how long do the stalks have to be before you can cut them and replant them " i was thinking about 6 inches??" or is that too short? That way i could make more out of what i have.

Back
Top Bottom